Series / Faith
Faith (also called "The Great Doctor in some Western translations) is a Korean fantasy/historical/medical 24 episode series aired by SBS from August 13 to October 30, 2012
Yoon Eun-soo is a struggling surgeon who left general surgery for the prestige of plastic surgery. Choi Young is the General for the Wooldachi (Royal Guard). He is tasked by the King to get a Doctor from the Heavens to save the Queen of Goyreo (Korean Dynasty). Choi Young travels to modern day Seoul, finds his way to Gangnam, and then runs into Yoon Eun-soo.
Faith contains examples of the following tropes:
- Artistic License – History: Quite a few but, the most obvious one is that several of the characters (including the historical ones) have some kind of elemental power, like lightning, fire or ice!
- An Ice Person: Ki Chul can create ice and freeze his enemies whenever they're in close contact
- Bad Ass: There are many who can boast the title, both good and bad, but the one everyone agree on is Choi Young, leader of the Woodalchi and former member of an elite team called Crescent Moon. He also can summon lightning!!!. That being said, he's also a...
- Heartbroken Badass: He was witness to both his teacher and leader, Moon Chi Hoo, murder and to his fiancée and teammate, Mae Hee, suicide. Both were caused by the king they swore to protect.
- Badass Crew: Plenty of them! You have the Woodalchi, in charge of the protection of the Royal Couple, the Suribang that have all the street connections and, of course, the Big Bad's crew.
- Beta Couple: King Gongmin and Queen No Gook.
- Big Damn Heroes: Several characters have at least one of these moments.
- Bodyguard Crush: Most of the Woodalchi have a soft spot for Eun Soo, who also cares a great deal about them, but this applies especially with her and Choi Young with whom the relationship is far more romantic almost from the beginning
- Cool Big Sis: Eun Soo becomes this to the Woodalchi, specifically Dae Man and Duk San as well to Queen No Gook.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: The King more often than not asks himself this, especially in the earlier episodes when more often than not, the rest of the characters would go against his express wishes and commands, implying that he doesn't know what he's doing nor that they care much for what he thinks.
- The Chief Advisor Jo Il Shi feels this way when the King starts listening more and more to Choi Young and starts leaving him to the side and out of the loop. Prince Deok Heung will take advantage of this to have Jo Il Shi help him perform a coup.
- Evil Is Hammy: Ki Chul is quite over the top.
- Fortune Teller: In the present, Eun Soo went to one to see where and when she could find a rich man that would fund her clinic.
- Fun Personified: Eun Soo is viewed as this by most everyone around her due to her outbursts, antics and quirks that are seen as refreshing and amusing.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Played straight with both Choi Young, when he came to the future, and Eun Soo, who was brought to the past, of course Hilarity Ensues during their experiences.
- Historical-Domain Character: The series takes place in what would be the last years of the Goryeo period so many characters that appear were relevant to it.
- I Gave My Word: Choi Young swore on his honor that he would return Eun Soo to her time when she finished saving the Queen. Sadly, it doesn't happen
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: After being prevented from going through the portal, Eun Soo takes Choi Young's sword and goes to stab him, furious that he broke his promise to her. Thing is, she never expected him to actually stand there and take the blow or even help her plunge the sword deeper. Yikes.
- Kill the Cutie: Poor Choong Jung
- Not Good with Rejection: Dear Lord, Ki Chul has some serious issues with this. At first, he'll play "nice" to gain the heart (loyalty) of those he's interested in but, the moment he perceives even a hint of rejection, he'll put them through hell on Earth.
- One-Man Army: Choi Young, full stop. He singlehandedly raided Ki Chul's palace to save Eun Soo, fought off an army of mooks with minimal injury to his person and did it immediately after waking up from a coma
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: They had a rocky start but with time King Gongmin and Queen No Gook managed to have a rather stable and happy relationship
- Poison Is Evil: Prince Deok Heung is very fond of this
- Portal Slam: Eun Soo probably could have returned the very same episode but, circumstances make her miss her chance.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: The Royal Couple stumbled along the way at the beginning until Character Development set in and then they began acting outside the wishes of the Yuan Empire.
- Ki Chul may be a villain but he's also a Prince and while he mostly acts in self-interest, he's never idle.
- Second Love: Eun Soo for Choi Young.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Averted. Eun Soo, at the beginning, wanted to find a RICH man, granted one that would be nice enough to fund her but she wanted to avoid marriage.
- Standard Female Grab Area: Many, many times
- Stepford Smiler: Eun Soo always keeps on smiling and joking around in public, not wanting to let others see how much the events are affecting her
- Taking You with Me: Choi Young attempts this with Ki Chul.
- Time Travel: See the description above
- Stable Time Loop: Eun Soo saves several key historical figures that would go on to give foundation to the Korea we know
- The Evil Prince: Prince Ki Chul and Prince Deok Heung
- The Medic: Eun Soo fills this role, even being named the High Doctor of the palace.
- Trauma Conga Line: Eun Soo goes through a hell of a lot, ever since she puts a foot out the portal she just can't seem to catch a break.
- Choi Young also suffers of this. From watching his friends and fiancee die before him, to having to Mercy Kill the child king he saw as a brother, to see in more than one occasion his Second Love suffer because of her status and their bond. Let's just say he's had it rough.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Although Choi Young risked his safety and life to save and protect them, the scholars aren't exactly helpful or caring whenever someone tries to sabotage him
- Jo Il Shin, one of the king's vassal, sees Gongmin as this because he listens and protects Choi Young giving the younger man more status and respect.
- Villainous Crush: Prince Ki Chul, big time and, to a lesser degree, Prince Deok Heung for Eun Soo. Hwa Soo In also shows in several occasions interest on Choi Young.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Subverted The mouse becomes more of a Checkovs Gun when Choi Young uses it to fake a suicide attempt.