Lonely Rich Kid
Yoo In Ha is a Child Prodigy
pianist and heir to the piano company, BooSung Instructments. He lives with his senile grandmother, his mother Chae Young Rang
, and his father Yoo Man Se. Because he has no worries, In Ha spends most of his time, playing the piano and being a Spoiled Brat
. That is, until his father brings home a long lost son
, Ji Ho. Ji Ho is older, nicer
, and to top it off, he has absolute pitch—a great advantage for anyone who wants to be a pianist. Not only that, Young Rang takes a liking to the new kid, allowing him to call her mother and treating him with deference.
And then a fire engulfs their home
, killing Yoo Man Se, leaving In Ha with only 9 workable fingers, and
forever changing the lives of the members of the Yoo family.Five Fingers
(다섯손가락) is a 2012 makjang
This series contains examples of:
- Always Someone Better: In Ha has been studying the piano practically since birth, but then Ji Ho comes in and is "naturally" gifted.
- Bad Ass Boast:
Ji Ho: Mom, if I find out that you were that evil, then I'll really go crazy. (... and crazy he goes.)
- Big Screwed-Up Family
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Young Rang
- "Stupid frog ahjusshi."
- "Grandma, make sausage for dinner!"
- In one of the early episodes, senile Grandma makes a nonsensical comment about property in Gapyeong. 14 years later, the other characters start to make the connection.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The maid, Dong Yi
- Chekhov's Skill: Ji Ho's perfect pitch is shown more prominently as a child. After the Time Skip, it's barely mentioned until he has to find out who framed him.
- Child Prodigy: In Ha. Ji Ho.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: Lawyer Choi
- Clear My Name: The whole Professor-Ha-versus-Ji-Ho arc
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: In Ha sports a huge ring on his left pinkie—just in case the audience forgets.
- The Corpse Stops Here: Ji Ho is wrongly accused of killing Danny Hong, because he arrived on the scene first.
- Daddy Issues/Mommy Issues: Whoa, boy!
- Death Wail: Ji Ho delivers one of these when he finds out that Young Rang killed Man Se.
- Deus Angst Machina
- Do Not Call Me "Grandma": That's Lady Na to you.
- Dragon with an Agenda/Enigmatic Minion: Lawyer Choi is the only one who knows all of Young Rang's secrets, and he doesn't seem keen on keeping them.
- Dramatic Shattering: All over the place, but especially done by In Ha.
- Dramatic Thunder:
- Played With
Lady Na: I'm SO jealous. (thunder) Omona! Why is it suddenly thundering? It's not even raining.
- And Straight
Young Rang: Oh, right. The will. (thunder)
- Drowning My Sorrows: In Ha drinks away his problems often. And a lot.
- Evil Matriarch: Young Rang
- Fingore: As the main character in Five Fingers are pianists, fingers suffer quite a bit. In Ha even loses full control of one of his.
- Frameup: Young Rang and In Ha are both fond of this trope.
- Frequently-Broken Unbreakable Vow: "Don't make In Ha sad."
- Genre Blindness: Da Mi's mother repeatedly does things that anyone who's seen a makjang (or anyone with half a brain) would reconsider. Confront the more powerful, richer person who accused your husband of murder? Sure, that'll end well. Hand over the only copy of the receipt that could exonerate your husband? Ok, let's do that. Tell Lawyer Choi what you're planning? Yes, he's not harmful at all.
- Hand Signals: Da Mi's father, Hong Soo Pyo, was deaf, so everyone in the family can sign. Comes in handy when Da Mi's mother stops speaking to her for being disobedient.
- I Can Rule Alone: "I'm not going to be Mom's puppet anymore." (Too bad he messes up and is forced to work with her again.)
- I Can Still Play the Piano: Ji Ho will play through the injury no matter what, and In Ha would find a way to have someone else play instead.
- Idiot Ball: Really? Ji Ho, you're going to trust the two people in the world who's proven untrustworthy just because family is important to you?
- If I Can't Have You: In Ha says this trope exactly to Da Mi.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Young Rang's step mother, "Lady" Na Kye Hwa, is obviously on nobody's side but her own; however, she almost always fails at her "evil" plots. But, come on, someone give Grandma a hug.
- Internal Reveal: "The person who killed your father was your mother."
- Ironic Echo: "Because I'm your brother."/"Because you're my brother."
- It's All My Fault:
Ji Ho: I shouldn't have given Grandma the lighter.
- Jerkass Fašade: Yoo Man Se's mother
- Jerkass Has a Point: Lady Na may be a mean old lady, but honestly, she's the only one who dares to slap In Ha and doesn't stand for his fits.
- Ladykiller in Love: Yoo Man Se's affairs are all obviously bids for Young Rang's affections.
- Lamarck Was Right: Both Ji Ho's mother and In Ha's mother were talented pianists.
- Leonine Contract: Between Lawyer Choi and Woo Jin
- Limited Social Circle:
: The girl that both In Ha and Ji Ho liked is Hong Soo Pyo's daughter? Does that make sense
? (Wait till she finds out who else is related to Hong Soo Pyo.
- Lonely Rich Kid: Little In Ha
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: Yoo Man Se
- Long-Lost Relative: In Ha's older brother, Ji Ho
- Like Father, Like Son: When In Ha vows to make Da Mi his, Young Rang notes how much like Man Se he actually is.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: Yoo Man Se delivers this line to Ji Ho when they first meet, immediately calling him "Yoo Ji Ho."
- Meddling Parents:
- Lady Na, who was pivotal in arranging the marriage between Young Rang and Man Se
- Young Rang, especially towards In Ha
- Meet Cute: The first time Ji Ho and Da Mi meet as kids, she's standing in front of a music store, hoping she would want day be able to own a piano. Years later, they meet again when they bump into each other and accidentally trade bikes.
- Memento MacGuffin: Young Rang's piano, which she is forced to donate to Da Mi
- Momma's Boy:
- Bratty as he is, young In Ha promises to take care of his mother and make sure she never bows to anyone.
- Yoo Man Se
- Missed Him by That Much: Da Mi/Ji Ho, by the Han River
- Mistaken for Murderer: Woo Jin's and Da Mi's father, Hong Soo Pyo
- Nice Guy: Ji Ho
- The Nineties: The first few episodes.
- No Honor Among Thieves:
- Young Rang doesn't completely trust Lawyer Choi, nor he her. So why does she rescue him from prison? Because she knows he won't go down alone.
- The relationship between Lawyer Choi and Danny Hong
- Not Good with Rejection: No, In Ha, Da Mi says no. Repeatedly.
- Not So Different:
- Why does Young Rang's mother-in-law like her? Because they're too much alike.
- So Yul notes that both her father Professor Ha and Ji Ho are too stubborn. "Why are they so alike?"
- Not So Emotionless: The scene where Young Rang speaks to the photo of her long-lost son.
Young Rang: Are you really living under the same sky? In whose house? How did you live? Living pitifully, how much have you resented your parents?
- An Offer You Can't Refuse: Between Hong Woo Jin and Elvin Kim - of the Enemy Mine variety
- The One That Got Away: Kim Jung Wook (Elvin Kim) is Young Rang's old lover.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Lady Na is shocked when In Ha is nice to her.
Lady Na: Were you acting like a brat all this time because you weren't president?
- The President's Daughter: Young Rang is obviously pushing In Ha towards Professor Ha's daughter, Ha So Yul, because of her connections, but it soon becomes clear to In Ha just that So Yul's loyalties lie with Ji Ho.
- Puppy Love: Ji Ho/Da Mi
- The Reveal: Yoo Man Se's mother didn't start the house fire at all. It was the maid, Lee Dong Yi. By accident.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it Elvin Kim or Alvin Kim? Danny Hong or Denny Hong?
- Spoiled Brat: In Ha
- Technician Versus Performer: In Ha vs. Ji Ho
- Time Skip: 14 years later
- Tough Love: Yoo Man Se
- Two Guys and a Girl: Ji Ho. Da Mi. In Ha. (Bet you didn't see that coming.)
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: In Ha
In Ha: (to his dead father) Why didn't you tell me? That you loved me?
- Wicked Stepmother: Young Rang
- You Can't Thwart Stage One: Young Rang and In Ha are successful in causing a ongoing rift between Ji Ho and Professor Ha, even causing both Ji Ho and Professor Ha to demean each other. This plan worked so well that Professor Ha was even going to name In Ha his successor—until In Ha fakes his own music. Then Professor Ha jumps back on the Ji Ho bandwagon.
- Why did you kill my father!
- Your Cheating Heart: Yoo Man Se