The Gu Family Book
(구가의 서, also known as Kang Chi, the Beginning
) is a South Korean drama series starring Lee Seung-gi and Kpop
idol Suzy. It aired 24 episodes on MBC, Mondays and Tuesdays from April 8 to June 25, 2013.
The fusion martial arts action historical drama is about Choi Kang Chi, a human-gumiho hybrid
who is searching for a centuries-old book that, according to a legend, contains the secret to becoming fully human. Through some whirlwind occurrences, he is accused of killing his foster father. Setting up this scheme is Jo Gwan Woong, an evil nobleman who lusted after Kang Chi's mother and therefore is destroying her life. Accompanying Kang Chi is Dam Yeo Wool, a noble's daughter and master of archery
This series provides examples of:
- Back Story: Kang-chi's parents, for the first two episodes
- Idiot Hero: Kang Chi, full stop.
- Korean Drama: the historical type with fantasy elements
- Love Triangle: Chung-jo/Kang-chi/Yeo-wool, Kang-chi/Yeo-wool/Gon... and there is Tae-seo, crushing on Yeo-wool as well...
- Ahem, I think you mean Tae-seo is crushing on Kang-chi. Several times supporting characters say things like "we need to find you a girl, Tae-seo, you've never been interested in any we've brought around you" after which he smiles and shrugs and bashfully looks at Kang-chi. He has a complete non-reaction when he's told to marry Yeo-wool. In fact, he starts glaring at her jealously, which leads us to...
- HoYay: Tae-seo seems to have more than foster-brotherly affection for Kang-chi; Kang-chi is completely oblivious
- Not Quite Dead: Gu Wol Ryung.
- While we're at it Add Kang Chi's mom to the list.