When an experimental facility explodes in Australia, it gives the dastardly Hood an idea. When a similar project is brought online in the Sahara a year later, he steals a new prototype camera disguised as a mouse, and sabotages the Saharan plant, planning to draw the attention of International Rescue!
The first part of his plan goes without a hitch, but the sabotage rapidly grows out of hand and soon the entire plant is on the verge of destruction. Thunderbird 4 successfully disables the coastal section of the plant, averting a nuclear disaster, and Lady Penelope accidently defeats the Hood's mouse-cam.
Incidentally, this is the only episode to feature all five Thunderbirds on screen.
- Eek, a Mouse!!
- Happy Storm: after the facility in Australia explodes, the only thing that keeps the resulting radioactive cloud from reaching Melbourne is a sudden storm.
- Made of Explodium: Any incident in the nuclear plant automatically triggers a chain reaction that will cause a nuclear explosion.
- Prequel: the first part of the episode, where The Hood destroys the facility in Australia, is chronologically set before International Rescue became operational.
- Robot Buddy: The Mighty Atom to The Hood, at least untill he angrily destroys it.
- Spanner in the Works: Lady Penelope to The Hood. Since the mouse-cam is programmed to locate human faces to determine what to photograph, The Hood's attempt to take pictures of Thunderbird 2 result in only Lady Penelope being visible on the photo's.
- Stay In Thunderbird 2
- Title Drop: The Mighty Atom is the nickname of the mouse cam.
- Villain Ball: The Hood smashing the Mighty Atom counts, big time. Yes, it failed to get any usable shots of the Thunderbird craft, but it still had plenty of pictures of the atomic plant, which is what the Hood went there for in the first place!