The Thompson Tower, a magnificent engineering accomplishment, has been opened to the public. Unfortunately, this includes a truly manic lady driver, who crashes her car in the underground car park. Since everything in the Thunderbirds universe is Made of Explodium
, the tower catches fire with disturbing rapidity. Evacuation plans and the local fire department are able to rescue the majority, but three people are trapped below ground, somewhere in the network of tunnels, trapped behind automatic fire doors.
Bringing their pet Drill Tank
the Mole and the fireproof bulldozer Firefly, International Rescue turn up and try to cut through to the trapped family. It's an awful risk, as the experimental cutting gear they're using has caused unconsciousness in operators in all previous tests!
- Casual Car Giveaway: one of the guys overseeing the rescue gives Scott his car when he has to go to Thunderbird 2 to pick up the Mole.
- Godzilla Threshold: IR is forced to use the cutting gear fueled by Brain's new gas if they want to reach the trapped family in time, if though during a test on Tracy Island the gas caused Scott and Virgil to pass out.
- Drives Like Crazy: the woman driver who causes the inferno.
- Idiot Houdini: The woman driver who causes the inferno never gets her just desserts for her stupidity; in fact, she's seen out driving again at the end of the episode with absolutely no improvement in her driving whatsoever.
- Made of Explodium: The Thompson Tower doesn't so much catch fire as explode repeatedly until it collapses.
- Values Dissonance: Did you see the words "manic lady driver" in the recap? It's played every bit as insensitively as it sounds.