Apu is fired from the Kwik-E-Mart (thanks to Homer working with Kent Brockman to rat him out after Homer gets sick from bad Kwik-E-Mart food) and agrees to stay at the Simpsons' house. Meanwhile, James Woods is hired as the new Kwik-E-Mart clerk.
- Ambulance Cut: The two times Homer gets sick from eating bad Kwik-E-Mart food (the expired ham and the two buckets of shrimp that aren't frozen and smell funny).
- Bait and Switch: When Homer learned how far India was from Springfield, it cut to a scene with him and Apu riding donkeys... to Springfield Airport. They spent so much money on the plane tickets they couldn't pay for a cab ride.
- Brick Joke: When Apu gave the impression he wanted to strangle Homer for getting him fired, he was actually trying to apologize. When Apu did want to strangle him, Homer thought it was another apology.
- Cluster F-Bomb: James Woods' cursing a blue streak as he's scraping melted cheese off the microwave walls.
- Driven to Suicide/Interrupted Suicide: When Apu was fired for getting caught selling rotten food, he tried to kill himself by eating Kwik-E-Mart food. His boss prevented him from doing so.
- Incredibly Obvious Bug: The hidden camera cowboy hat not only obviously has the camera lens sticking out, but makes a loud buzzing sound.
- Retirony: Kent tells Homer that the hidden cam hat he smashed was a day away from retirement.
- Riddle for the Ages: When James Woods was talking at the phone to his manager, he asked how his upcoming movie was the same if his character was retconned from a store clerk to an eskimo. He never learned the answer but whatever it was, Woods accepted it.
- Rule of Three: When Apu and Homer met the owner of the Kwik-E-Mart chain to ask for Apu's job back, he said they'd only be allowed three questions. Apu only wants to ask one, but Homer wasted all of them asking if that guy really owned the Kwik-E-Mart. And the answers weren't enough for him.
- Shout-Out: The scene with the Indian train being so crowded that passengers are hanging on the outside spoofs a similar scene in Gandhi.
- Too Dumb to Live and What an Idiot: Homer still buys bad food from the Kwik-E-Mart even after he got sick from it twice and saw the disgusting close-up of the hot dog that fell on the floor on the smashed hat cam.