Episode - 1F11
First Aired - 2/3/1994
While on a boring field trip to the box factory, Bart makes a break for it to Channel 6 Studios, home of Bart's favorite show, Krusty the Clown
, and gets a job as Krusty's assistant — then becomes an accidental star after screwing up during a live sketch and blurting, "I didn't do it!"
This episode contains examples of:
- And This Is for...: Nelson when he thought Bart was lying about being Krusty's assistant.
- As Himself: Conan O'Brien (the only Simpsons writer ever to come back and voice himself. Also, the only Saturday Night Live writer to voice himself on The Simpsons)
- Catch Phrase: This episode makes fun of the fact that people who become famous for blurting a catchphrase are only famous for a short time. Lisa even says that if she ever becomes famous, it'll be for something more substantial.
- Celebrity Is Overrated: Bart at first loves the fame and attention it gets him, but eventually gets sick of the fact that he's treated as a one-trick pony.
- Technology Marches On: Bart taking a cell phone call during class while working as Krusty's assistant. Back then, the joke was that only important people had cell phones (and that cell phones in the 1990s were big and unwieldy). These days, with smaller cell phones and kids as young as ten having them (due to their parents trying to make sure where they are at all times or the kids themselves wanting to be hip and cool), the joke isn't all that funny or revolutionary, and comes off as odd that a ten-year-old would have such a big cell phone.