Episode - 1F11
First Aired - 2/3/1994While on a boring field trip to the box factory, Bart makes a break for it to Channel 6 Studios, home of Bart's favorite show, Krusty the Clown, and gets a job as Krusty's assistant — then becomes an accidental star after screwing up during a live sketch and blurting, "I didn't do it!"
This episode contains examples of:
- Analogy Backfire: Bart is willing to listen to Homer's advice about not caring what others think until Homer says that's what made him what he currently is.
- And This Is For...: Nelson when he thought Bart was lying about being Krusty's assistant.
- As Himself: Conan O'Brien (the only Simpsons writer ever to come back and voice himself. Also, the only Saturday Night Live writer to voice himself on The Simpsons)
- Big Fancy House: Lisa has one in her imagine spot.
- Bowdlerization: Thanks to the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, the parts where Kent Brockman is trying to read a report about a tidal wave in Kuala Lampur, then changes it to France because he can't pronounce Kuala Lampur and the Mexican Bumblebee Man reading the tidal wave report after Kent Brockman refuses to do it because his cheese danish was stolen are cut on the UK's Channel 4.
Lisa: "If I'm ever famous for something, I want it to be for something worthwhile and not just some stupid fad."
- This episode makes fun of the fact that people who become famous for blurting a catchphrase are only famous for a short time.
- ...and then parodied when every character on the show ends up saying their own catch phrase in rapid succession.
- Celebrity Is Overrated: Bart at first loves the fame and attention it gets him, but eventually gets sick of the fact that he's treated as a one-trick pony.
- Credits Pushback: Done to Krusty's show; this results in Bart's name being hard to read when the tape is paused, and his friends don't believe that he actually works on the show.Nelson: (after punching Bart in the gut) That's for taking credit for other people's work.
- Department of Redundancy Department:Bart: It's my job to be repetitive. My job. My job. Repetitiveness is my job! I'm gonna go out there tonight and give the best performance of my life!
Marge: The best performance of your life?
Bart: The best performance of my life!
- Hypocritical Humor: At the end of act three:DJ 1: And that was "Kung Fu Fighting". Speaking of "one trick ponies", whatever happened to that "I didn't do it" kid?
DJ 2: Boy, did that get old fast! WHOA! Y'know, if you wanna last in this business, you gotta stay fresh! (plays recycled sound effects)
- I Can't Believe I'm Saying This: When Bart's entire class is waiting for him to say his new catch phrase.Bart: I can't believe I'm saying this, but...shouldn't we be learning something?
- Imagine Spot:
Skinner: Class, instead of the box factory, today we'll be going to the..... box factory.
- Lisa has a rather disturbing imagine spot where she kills Bart with her Nobel Peace Prize.
- Bart has one when he tries to imagine a place he'd rather be instead of the box factory. It backfires when he can't think of anything else.
Bart: Damn TV, you ruined my imagination, just like you ruined my ability to... to um... oh well. (pulls out a mini-TV and laughs while watching it)
- Interrupted Bath: When Bart wanders off from a field trip, and Principal Skinner calls Marge at home, causing her to run to the phone dripping wet in a towel. When she doesn't answer on time, he calls Homer at work, where, for some reason, he also runs for the phone after a shower.Homer: You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.
- I'm Standing Right Here: Lisa gives a disgusted tirade on Bart's popularity and claims she'd loathe to be remembered for a mere obnoxious fad. When a hurt Bart is revealed to have entered the room, she awkwardly looks away and reads.
- Ironic Echo: "I wish I was dead."
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Lisa fantasizes about killing Bart in her fantasy.
- You, Get Me Coffee: This is what Bart's career amounted to at first, nearly driving him to quit. Then he has to fill in for Sideshow Mel and the rest is history.Krusty: This is a dream factory, the birthplace of magic — an enchantment! Now I need you to go clean out my toilet.