Recap: The Simpsons S 3 E 10 Flaming Moes
Episode - 8F08
First Aired - 11/21/1991
Moe steals Homer's recipe for a cough syrup-laced cocktail that becomes the toast of Springfield.
This episode contains examples of:
- An Aesop: "Some things are too good to keep for yourself."
- As Themselves: Aerosmith (Steven Tyler, Tom Hamilton, Joey Kramer, Joe Perry and Brad Whitford)
- Comically Missing the Point: After Moe and his waitress Colette had sex:
Colette: Morris, something troubles me.
Moe: Don't worry, baby, my mother won't be home for another 20 minutes.
Colette: No, I was thinking about Homer Simpson.
Moe: That's okay, I was just thinking about Sybil Danning.
- Driven to Madness: Homer at the climax.
- Expy: Collette for Diane Chambers.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The name Flaming Moe. The writers assumed the censors didn't get it. note
- Laughing Mad: Homer, after revealing the secret ingredient.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Homer (unknowingly) gives away the secret ingredient to the Flaming Moe, screwing both Moe and himself out of a small fortune.
- And for sharing his drink to Moe in the first place.
Barney: Good for you, Moe. Only an idiot would give away a million-dollar idea like that!
- Nothing Personal: Moe tells Homer he's sorry for stealing his drink, "it's nothing personal. This is business."
Homer: Business, huh? Well let me tell you, you just lost yourself a customer.
- Plagiarism In Fiction: Moe stealing Homer's recipe.
- Punny Name: Bart's prank call of this episode backfired because there was someone named "Hugh Jass" who actually took the prank call in good spirit.
- Running Gag: This episode introduces one of the series' running gags: the perpetually burning Springfield Tire Yard note .
- Sarcasm Mode: One of the funniest moments in this episode.
Stupid Moe, non-inventing, recipe-stealing, pug-nosed... Marge:
Well, Homer, maybe you can get some consolation in the fact that something you created is making so many people happy. Homer:
Oh, look at me! I'm making people happy! I'm the Magical Man from Happy-Land, in a gumdrop house on Lollipop Lane! [leaves the room, slamming the door. Pokes his head back in] Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic. [closes the door] Marge:
- Say My Name: A jinxed Bart writes this on a card, trying to get Homer to say it.
Homer: Why should I do that, my lad?
Bart: Cause I'm jinxed, damn it!
[Homer punch him in the arm for talking]
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Homer invokes this when he saw the results when Maggie got to Lisa and her friends.
- Shout-Out: Several references to Cheers, and one to Phantom of the Opera.
- Special Guest: Phil Hartman as Lionel Hutz
- What the Hell, Hero?: Colette was angry at Moe when she learned that the drink was originally Homer's which Moe stole. Later, she tells him he should sell the drink and give half the money to Homer. But it was too late, and for that she broke up with him and left to pursue a movie career.