Episode - 7G03
First Aired - 1/21/1990After an incident at the Nuclear Power Plant, Homer is fired from his job as technical supervisor. Unable to provide for his family without a job and reduced to stealing from his son to buy beer, he runs away to kill himself — until a near accident gives him a new lease on life as a local safety advocate.
This episode contains examples of:
- Darkest Hour: When Homer smashes Bart's piggy bank for beer money. Leads to a My God, What Have I Done? moment from Homer.
- Driven to Suicide: Homer runs away to kill himself after being unable to find a job and resorting to stealing money from his own son to get a beer (and there wasn't even enough money, not even close).
- Early-Bird Cameo: Blinky the three-eyed fish, who played a greater role in "Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish", first appears as a throwaway gag.
- Early Installment Weirdness and Off Model: Smithers is black in this episode due to a coloring mistake that couldn't be fixed. The animators wanted to keep him that way, but saw that a black man being hired as a servile assistant to his white boss wouldn't go over well with American audiences, so they made sure that Smithers was yellow (which is Caucasian in the Simpson world) so this mistake wouldn't happen again.
- The Freelance Shame Squad: An elderly couple pose as a particularly sociopathic example, heckling Homer as he walks off to kill himself.Old Man: He might just be taking his boulder for a walk. *cackles*
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Bart's report card reads, U, F, U, F, U, Dnote
- Hypocritical Humor: Homer's suicide note had a "Don't give up" message.
- Intoxication Ensues: "Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."
- Like Father, Like Daughters: Homer's supervisor is implied to tear into Homer on a regular basis, and then coldly fires him in front of his son, before saying hi to his girls Sherri and Terri, who have been harassing Bart throughout the trip.
- Montage: Homer getting doors closed on him, including his own home. Bart actually slammed the door on him, telling him not to give up.
- Noodle IncidentMrs. Krabappel: I hope we don't have a repeat of our trip to Springfield Prison, Bart.Bart: Mrs. Krabappel, I did not open that door.
- Shout-Out: The title is one to The Odyssey, by Homer.
- Special Guest: Sam McMurray as the Worker Drone.