Bart and Lisa fear that they might have killed Martin while Marge thinks Homer is cheating — on his diet.
- The B Grade: Lisa believes telling the truth would be worse that one million "A minuses".
- Brain Bleach: Homer "making out" with the food he stuck while in a motel shower.Host: I can't believe I'm saying this, but turn the camera off.
- MacGyvering: Martin, as a result of the events that made people believe he died, landed on a small island in the middle of a lake. It took him just one hour to make a raft to get out... and the week it took for the whole mess to occur for him to sew a skirt out of leaves.
- Made of Iron: Musing about the details of Martin's death, Nelson commented things didn't add. Hearing that, Jimbo, Kearney and Dolph wanted to beat him up for wanting to add. However, he's so tougher than their other victims he not only didn't show any pain but also didn't show any sign he was aware of people hitting him.
- Mood Whiplash: going from a cop talking about a child's death to a children's cartoon
- Not Quite Dead: Martin survived.
- Plagiarism in Fiction:Bart: I didn't know there was a national park here.
Lisa: You wrote a report on it last week.
Bart: The internet wrote it. I just handed it in.
- Smarter Than You Look: Nelson spends half of the episode trying to get Lisa and Bart to confess that they were involved in Martin's disappearance, complete with him inspecting the scene of the "crime" and playing off their paranoia (or at least Lisa's paranoia).
- Take That!:
- Danielle Steel novels are the only books available in prison. It makes Lisa (who is daydreaming of becoming a lifer as a result of Martin's accidental death) bellow out a Big "NO!".
- "Sneakers" is a regular Fox Network reality show, more concerned about ratings-raising family-destroying schadenfreude than actually helping people. When Marge points it out and acts like a sweetheart with Homer, the host says that it's nice... and if she'll excuse him, he's going to go to the editing room to do some Manipulative Editing that will make her look like a psychotic Woman Scorned.
- Your Cheating Heart: The show "Sneakers" is made to show an unfaithful spouse/significant other cheating in some way. Marge's plot involves hiring this team to prove that he's cheating on his bell pepper diet and they do it in a way that makes him look like another cheater.