After seeing a film about a shy, bookish, Spanish girl who becomes a tango dancer's partner in a contest, Lisa begs Marge to let her take tango lessons, but ends up taking tap lessons from a former 1930s child star modelled after Shirley Temple and tries to hide the fact that she's terrible at tap from Homer and Marge. Meanwhile, Homer gets laser eye surgery and Bart and Milhouse hide out at the mall after Nelson announces that he's going to summer camp with them.
- Bait and Switch: In "Tango de la Muerte":Coach: As your wise but alcoholic dance coach, I know that somewhere your father is looking down on you and smiling. Oh, there he is!
(father waves from balcony)
- Cutting the Knot: Lisa's automatic self-tapping shoes go haywire, and soon Lisa is out of control. Almost everybody flees except for Marge and Homer, who saves the day by tripping Lisa.Lisa: Whew! Thanks, Dad.Homer: I didn't think, I just acted.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: During "Tango de la Muerte", a Milhouse-esque character says after being dejected, "Que malo. Once again, I must sugar my own churro."
- Dirty Communists: Referenced:Lisa: But my parents are counting on seeing me dance. And I've worked ever so hard.
Vicki: I'm sorry, Lisa, but giving everyone an equal part when they're clearly not equal is called what again, class?
Vicki: That's right. And I didn't tap all those Morse code messages to the Allies till my shoes filled with blood just to roll out the welcome mat for the Reds.
- Exact Words:Vicki: You've just got to turn that frown upside down!
Vicki: That's a smile, not an upside down frown! Work on that, too.
- I Can't Dance: Subverted in that Lisa is terrible at tap. However, it's implied that she could have been much better at it if she got some more specialized instruction than the rote "tappa tappa tappa" method Little Vicki used.
- Involuntary Dance: Lisa's automatic self-tapping shoes go out of control when the audience at her recital applauds, and she can't stop dancing.
- The Last Title: The name of the episode.
- Logo Joke: The Gracie Films Vanity Plate has the logo moving up to show the cat in the instruction video rubbing it's eyes.
- Re Tool: The Cyborganizer does this in the first episode, much to Homer's dismay.
- Show Within a Show: The Cyborganizer.
- Tricked-Out Shoes: Lisa tries to perform in her class's recital with a pair of automatic self-tapping shoes. Unfortunately, they were designed by Professor Frink and end up going haywire.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Homer's laser eye subplot stopped with him blinded by his eye crust and taken to the liquor store by Dolph, Jimbo, and Kearney (with Kearney driving and pretending to be Marge). It's never brought up again nor do viewers see what happened when Homer tried to buy Jack Daniels and cigarettes for the trio. Also, it's never explained how Bart & Milhouse got out of the mall, since the plot disappears after the puma eats the ball.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Homer leads the audience in giving Lisa standing ovation for her performance, causing her self-tapping shoes to overload and go crazy. In his defense, nobody knew she was wearing them.