The Simpsons are going on spring break in Florida to hopefully cure Homer of his insomnia-induced insanity and fear of dying caused by answering a magazine quiz...but find themselves on the run from the law for running down the town's mascot, Captain Jack.
- A Fool for a Client: Homer defends himself and his family in court — and ends up getting everyone sentenced to hard labor in a chain gang, all because he opened with, "Drunken hicks of the jury..."
- Artistic License – Biology: Captain Jack has interlocking teeth like a crocodile, instead of an overbite like a real-life alligator.
- Disney Death: The alligator Homer accidentally ran over turns up alive and completely unharmed at the end.
- Going Native: Once the Simpsons accept a job at a swamp diner while hiding from the police, they quickly adapt to country life, complete with bumpkin dialect.
- Jerkass: The guy that whips Homer and Marge. Everything is whipping worthy to him. Including listening to a police officer trying to talk to them.
- Madness Mantra: "Can't sleep, gonna die. Can't sleep, gonna die." (similar to the memetic "Can't sleep. Clown'll eat me." in "Lisa's First Word").
- Morton's Fork: When Homer gets told "No listenin', you hear me?", it's pretty obvious any answer would get Homer whipped.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: Averted with Captain Jack.
- Persona Non Grata: The Simpsons are not allowed to return to Florida ever again (even though they would return later in "Catch 'Em If You Can" and "Special Edna"). As of now, the only states they're not banned from are Arizona and North Dakota, which further complicates theories on where Springfield is.
- Running Gag: Homer constantly trying to turn whatever song's being sung at the moment to Starship's "We Built This City (On Rock and Roll)"
- Sanity Slippage: Homer, as a result of insomnia brought on from a magazine quiz predicting he's gonna die (even Marge looked worried when she read the results). It escalates to Homer hopping around in a cowboy sleeping bag, completely naked, at the power plant while nursing a baby doll.Homer: A mother can't die, and I'm a mother.
- Typical Cartoon Animal Colors: Real alligators are not as green as Captain Jack is.
- Writer Cop Out: The alligator being alive all along makes many viewers feel that this is in play as it makes the entire episode pointless.