After seeing a film about a shy, bookish, Spanish girl who becomes a tango dancer's partner in a contest, Lisa begs Marge to let her take tango lessons, but ends up taking tap lessons from a former 1930s child star modelled after Creator/ShirleyTemple and tries to hide the fact that she's terrible at tap from Homer and Marge. Meanwhile, Homer gets laser eye surgery and Bart and Milhouse hide out at the mall after Nelson announces that he's going to summer camp with them.
* BaitAndSwitch: In "Tango de la Muerte":
--> '''Coach:''' As your wise but alcoholic dance coach, I know that somewhere your father is looking down on you and smiling. Oh, there he is!\\
''(father waves from balcony)''
* ChekhovsGag: There's an entire bit focusing on Chief Wiggum setting off a cheese-baited mouse trap rigged to a suspended anvil in an attempt to catch the mall rat. After a scene where Professor Frink helps out Lisa, Wiggum releases a mountain lion to hunt down the rat... and the lion immediately goes for the cheese. Cue AnvilOnHead.
-->'''Lou:''' Should I get the backup lion, Chief?\\
'''Wiggum:''' Would you?
* CreditsGag: The entire ending credits sequence was done in the style of old-time movies.
* CuttingTheKnot: Lisa's automatic self-tapping shoes go haywire, and soon Lisa is out of control. Almost everybody flees except for Marge and Homer, who saves the day by tripping Lisa.
-->'''Lisa:''' Whew! Thanks, Dad.\\
'''Homer:''' I didn't think, I just acted.
* ADateWithRosiePalms: During "Tango de la Muerte", a Milhouse-esque character says after being dejected, "Que malo. Once again, I must sugar my own churro."
* DirtyCommunists: Referenced:
--> '''Lisa:''' But my parents are counting on seeing me dance. And I've worked ever so hard.\\
'''Vicki:''' I'm sorry, Lisa, but giving everyone an equal part when they're clearly not equal is called what again, class?\\
'''Vicki:''' That's right. And I didn't tap all those Morse code messages to the Allies till my shoes filled with blood just to roll out the welcome mat for the Reds.
--> '''Vicki:''' You've just got to turn that frown upside down!\\
'''Vicki''': That's a ''smile'', not an upside down frown! Work on that, too.
* ICantDance: Subverted in that Lisa is terrible at tap. However, it's implied that she could have been much better at it if she got some more specialized instruction than the rote "tappa tappa tappa" method Little Vicki used.
* InvoluntaryDance: Lisa's automatic self-tapping shoes go out of control when the audience at her recital applauds, and she can't stop dancing.
* TheLastTitle: The name of the episode.
* LeParkour: Lisa ends up doing this once her tap-dancing shoes go out of control.
* LogoJoke: The Gracie Films VanityPlate has the logo moving up to show the cat in the instruction video rubbing it is eyes.
* MagicFeather: At the very end, Frink tries to make Lisa feel better by saying that his tap-dancing shoes were deactivated, prompting Marge to tell her ItWasWithYouAllAlong. Then Homer (in typical JerkAss InnocentlyInsensitive fashion) brings Lisa's dawning hopes down when he then says that the shoes ''were'' active and shows everybody the switch as proof.
* ReTool: ''The Cyborganizer'' does this in the ''first episode''[[note]]the title character starts out working for the N.Y.P.D., then somehow ends up working for a modeling agency and trying to raise a son as a single father[[/note]], much to Homer's dismay.
* PantyShot: A rare one from Lisa is seen while laying on the floor after Homer trips her.
* ShowWithinAShow: ''The Cyborganizer'', as well as an old Little Vicki movie an envious Lisa watches.
* TemptingFate: Bart and Milhouse note that one advantage of spending a week at the mall instead of camp is not having to hear "stupid camp songs". Then they pass by "Stan's Keyboards", where a man at the store is singing an advertising jingle based on "If You're Happy And You Know It".
* TheEnd: The episode ends by cutting away to a "The End" title card right as Homer is about to [[ItMakesSenseInContext get electrocuted by a weasel ball toy]].
* TrickedOutShoes: Lisa tries to perform in her class's recital with a pair of automatic self-tapping shoes. Unfortunately, they were designed by [[BunglingInventor Professor Frink]] and end up going haywire.
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: Homer's laser eye subplot stopped with him blinded by his eye crust and taken to the liquor store by Dolph, Jimbo, and Kearney (with Kearney driving and pretending to be Marge). It's never brought up again nor do viewers see what happened when Homer tried to buy Jack Daniels and cigarettes for the trio. Also, it's never explained how Bart & Milhouse got out of the mall, since the plot disappears after the puma eats the ball.
* UnwittingInstigatorOfDoom: Homer leads the audience in giving Lisa standing ovation for her performance, causing her self-tapping shoes to overload and go crazy. In his defense, nobody knew she was wearing them.
* YouGetMeCoffee: After Lisa gets her TrickedOutShoes, she asks Vicki for a spot in the recital other than operating the curtain. Little Vicki tries to discourage Lisa, but then Ralph gets sick from eating the plastic candy props for the recital. Vicki declares that only one person can fill in the leading role left by Ralph, so she turns to Lisa, and asks her to... ''help her into Ralph's costume.''