Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom
is a four part flash movie series featuring the characters and settings from Super Mario Bros.
. It was created by the late Randy Solem for his website, Video Game Director's Cuts and has also been featured on Newgrounds
After Mario is killed by a squadron of Bullet Bills, Luigi leads the citizens of the Mushroom Kingdom on a quest for vengeance against Bowser. As the battle goes on, however, things turn out to be not exactly as they seem...
Inspired by Alexander Leon's equally excellent series Mario Brothers
, this series is equally epic in scale, but much lighter in tone, with a good deal of Toilet Humor
and Black Comedy
. It can be seen here
on VGDC, here
, or here
, on Youtube.
Tropes Found in This Video Series Include:
- Big Bad: Wart.
- Big Damn Heroes: a revived Luigi saves Mario at the last minute in Part 4.
- Bring My Brown Pants: Bowser just before he is eaten by the baby Yoshis.
- Camera Abuse: Larry gets blasted into the screen during Part 2.
- Cliff Hanger: The end of Part 2 and Part 3.
- Dreaming of Things to Come: The beginning of Part 3 reveals Part 1 and 2 were Luigi dreaming prophetically.
- Foreshadowing: At the beginning of Part 2, Bowser reacts with confusion when he's informed of the incoming attack.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Tons. There is a guide to them on VGDC.
- Gasshole: Wart. Word of God says this is why he hates vegetables so much.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Luigi at the beginning of Part 3.
- Neck Snap: How Luigi kills a guard during Part 2.
- Non-Standard Character Design: The movie uses sprites from Super Mario World, the Super Mario All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. 2, and Yoshi's Island, all of which have slightly different art styles.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: As indicated by the title, the entire series is one of these, with the Mushroom Kingdom battling against Bowser and Wart.
- Shaggy Dog Story: The end of Part 2, when it turns out Wart killed Mario.
- Luigi gets to Bowser using the "World -1" trick from Super Mario Bros. and finishes him off by swinging him into the distance, Super Mario 64-style.
- Mario uses the super jump from Super Mario Bros. 2 in Wart's castle.
- Mario keeps losing his cap during parts 3 and 4, much like in Super Mario 64.
- Mario's battle against the crab is styled in the same way as Donkey Kong.
- "MC Koopa" and Mario's distracting dance are references to Randy Solem's "Mack Daddy Mario" videos from Video Game Director's Cuts.
- Bowser's Bring My Brown Pants moment is another reference to another of Solem's videos.
- Toilet Humor: Rampant, and very funny, especially when Mario finishes off Wart by lighting his flatulence.
- Viewers Are Morons: The creator ended up explaining what happened at the end of Part 2.
- Walking Spoiler: It's essentially impossible to mention Wart without giving away the twist ending to Part 2.
- Wham Shot: At the end of the second installment, Luigi visits Mario's grave, when another Bullet Bill is fired at him. The shooter is then revealed to be Wart, indicating him as the culprit.