Recap: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2012 S 1 E 18 Cockroach Terminator
While trying to foil a Kraang invasion plot, the Turtles are hunted by a giant cockroach. First aired March 15, 2013.
This episode provides examples of:
- Absentee Actor: April again, and for the first time in this series, Splinter.
- All There in the Manual / Word of God: The cockroach was called Chong by the show creators, but he is only called Spy-Roach in the episode.
- Badass Boast: When Raph finally gets tired of running from the Spy-Roach and decides to fight back:
"Alright, insect. You think I'm scared of you? I aced your butt twice already. You wanna go for number three?! Well, come and get me!
- Badass Biker: Raph gets his own Cool Bike.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: The Spy Roach. It gets even creepier when it molts...
- Breather Episode: After "TCRI".
- Call Back: The Turtles use the Shellraiser again.
- Cool Bike: Raph gets to ride a tricked out motorcycle.
- Create Your Own Villain: Spy-Roach's hatred of Raphael was born out of Raphael's attempts to kill it when it was a normal roach.
- And it's only mutated because the turtles were fighting with the controller, and it fell into ooze when they sent it to a Kraang base.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Fights with Spy-Roach tend to end this way.
- Cyborg: Spy-Roach's mutation causes the technology Donatello outfitted it with to merge with it.
- Determinator/The Unfettered: Spy-Roach.
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: Leo explaining to Raph why cockroaches molt. Cue the bigger, badder, uglier Spy-Roach appearing right behind them.
- Face Your Fears: Raph is forced to do this.
- From a Single Cell: After being melted by the Kraang's laser drill, a new Spy-Roach begins to form from the slimy remains.
- Girly Scream: Raph does this several times throughout the episode.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: By the end of the episode, Raphael gets so pissed off that he resorts to trading punches with Spy Roach.
- Groin Attack: Raph shoots a sewer lid right between the legs of an unconscious Spy-Roach.
- Hope Spot: Donnie and Mikey have the Spy Roach on the ropes with a dazzling display of teamwork... and a can of insecticide. When they go in for the finishing blow, the can runs out. And then the Spy Roach is hit by a speeding truck. Please note that, being a cockroach, this fails to do any lasting damage.
- Implacable Roach: Spy Roach has only one goal in mind; kill Raph, and little things like getting hit by a van, run over by a bike, and shot with manhole covers aren't gonna stop him.
- Ludicrous Gibs: Raphael finally destroys it by directing the Kraang's laser-drill at it, which causes it to explode in a shower of slime. This doesn't destroy it for good though.
- Made of Iron: Spy Roach survives getting run over by Shellraiser, among other things.
- Nigh-Invulnerability/No Sell: As Donatello explicitly points out in the episode, cockroaches are a deceptively durable race. Spy-Roach's mutation just took it Up to Eleven.
- Not Quite Dead: Spy-Roach.
- Oh Crap: Raphael said this when he discovers he's the reason the Spy-Roach is pursuing him. Well, "crap" isn't a G-rated word, so we have this:
- One-Winged Angel: After molting, Spy-Roach becomes bigger, stronger, and capable of Flight
- Organic Technology: Spy-Roach becomes this when it falls into the ooze (fusing its body with Donatello's tech).
- Out of the Inferno: Spy Roach after being hit by the truck, which crashed into a building and exploded.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Spy Roach is shorter than all the Turtles, but has no trouble pounding them all.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The spy-camera it wears over one eye has a red lens.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Spy-Roach against Raphael.
- Shout-Out: Numerous references to the Terminator movies.
- Tempting Fate: After learning why the Spy-Roach is after them we get this little number from Raph:
Raph: "I already got it, thanks. So are there anymore surprises?"
[Spy-Roach's sawblade bursts through the Shellraiser's floorboard right in front of Raph]
Raph: [Scared out of his wits] "HE HAS A SAW!?!?"
- This Is Gonna Suck:
Raph: Either this is gonna be awesome... Or very painful.
[rams the Spy-Roach in the face with his bike, using it as ramp to jump into the Kraang base]
Raph: Awesome! ...Well, it was both.
- A Twinkle in the Sky: Happens to a football helmet after Raph throws it at the Spy-Roach, whereupon the helmet bounces off it harmlessly.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Despite Spy-Roach's enhanced toughness brought upon by his mutation, he is still vulnerable to a common spray can of insecticide. Justified since he's still a roach in the same way the Turtles can hold their breath for a significant duration of time.
- Why Did It Have to Be a Cockroach?: Raph is afraid of roaches, and he says this exact line multiple times.
- You Have GOT To Be Kidding Me: Raph's word-for-world reaction when the Spy-Roach once again comes back for more on top of the Kraang laser drill.