Speedy: Winning isn't everything.
Robin: It's just the only thing that matters!
Robin, Cyborg, and Beast Boy are whisked away by the Master of Games, who pits the three of them against four teen superheroes (and Gizmo)
in The Tournament of Heroes, promising prizes. Robin becomes obsessively competitive, but Cyborg is suspicious of the Master's plans.
- All Your Powers Combined: The Master of Games's goal.
- Continuity Nod: Terra's appearance at the end of the episode counts as this (although strangely, she's absent during the rest of the episode, including shots of Raven and Starfire that she should logically have been included in).
- Early-Bird Cameo/Chekhov's Gunman: Of the other four teen heroes, we already know Aqualad. Along with Aqualad, Speedy also ends up as a major character in Season Three. Hot Spot and Wildebeest show up again in Season Five as honorary Titans.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Robin wins the final match by breaking Speedy's bow, and Speedy acts as if Robin had gone too far. While this would make sense if Speedy's bow carried sentimental value, no such subplot was included, and Speedy is shown to have a new bow (or have fixed his old one) by the time he reappears.
- Girls' Night Out Episode: Inverted; this is a Guy's Night Out episode.
- Here We Go Again: At the end of the episode, the girls are summoned by the Master of Games in the same way the guys were for a "Tournament of Heroines".
- Tournament Arc: Although it's confined to one episode.
- What Could Have Been: Cyborg was not to be disqualified between matches at first, but this had to be changed due to time constraints.