Season 4, Episode 8
Sam and Dean investigate a small town where the wishing well really works. A teddy bear comes to life, a boy who is always bullied gets super strength, someone wins the lottery, and the town geek gets a hot girlfriend. The brothers realize that while everyone is happy now, the end result will be disastrous. The boys find the cause of the wishes are a magic coin that causes a fountain to become a wishing well and that the only way to reverse the wishes is for the person who put the coin there to remove it.
For this episode = Everybody Lives.
For the series so far = At least 269 humans (of which 5 were witches), 53 demons, 25 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 rougarou, 1 shtriga, and 1 wendigo.
- Ate His Gun/Driven to Suicide
- Badass Boast
Dean: If you don't stop it, something bad's gonna happen.
Sam: Something bad... like us.
- Bad Dreams: Dean's still having nightmares of Hell.
- Bavarian Fire Drill: This is their standard MO, but Sam and Dean really lay it on thick when pretending to be from the health department.
- Be Careful What You Wish For
- Big Eater: Given the chance to wish for anything, Dean picks a footlong Italian sub with jalapeņo.
- Blatant Lies: According to Sam and Dean, they are teddy bear doctors, and Audrey's teddy bear has, uh, Lollipop Disease.
- Breather Episode
- Comes Great Responsibility: Dean starts quoting the trope to Todd but he's interrupted.
- Cute Bruiser: Todd.
- Double Standard: Rape, : Wes basically brainwashes Hope Lynn into loving him, but it's treated more as "how the hell did she end up with this guy?" than rape.
- Wes does act somewhat concerned over Hope being only interested and him, and Sam and Dean call him out on how dysfunctional things are between them.
- Drowning My Sorrows/The Alcoholic: The teddy bear.
- Embarrassingly Painful Sunburn: Audrey's parents come back from vacation horribly sunburned.
- Everybody Lives
- Foreshadowing: Sam claims to write a novel titled Supernatural . A few episodes later there truly are Supernatural books!
- Give Geeks a Chance: Wes' wish forces Hope Lynn to do this.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Subverted with the teddy bear's attempted suicide. He puts the gun in his mouth, the camera pans to the wall behind him, and then ... there's a cloud of stuffing, because he is a teddy bear, after all.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate/Who Wants to Live Forever?: After the teddy bear tries to commit suicide, he discovers that being made of stuffing and felt means this isn't an option.
- Visible Invisibility: The footsteps of the invisible kid are visible on the floor.
- Jerkass Genie
- Kneel Before Todd
- Large Ham: Todd and the teddy bear.
Teddy bear: WHHHHHHHYYYYYYY????!!!
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The "book" Sam claims he's "working" on? It's called "Supernatural".
- Living Toys: Due to Audrey's wish.
- Mood Dissonance
Teddy bear: It is a terrible world! Why am I here?
Audrey: For tea parties!
- Never Win The Lottery: The lottery winner turns out to have a fake ticket.
- Power Perversion Potential: The invisible kid in the women's shower
- Running Gag: The magazine Audrey drops is Busty Asian Beauties.
- Satellite Love Interest: Deconstructed. Wes uses a magic coin he inherited to create a wishing well, so he can make Hope Lynn (whom he's been in love with since high school, but who is oblivious to him) love him over anything else. At first, he's happy with the new situation, but eventually gets disheartened from the fact that she literally has no personality other than pleasing and loving him, even killing others for him to maintain their "love".
- Shout Out
- Shut Up, Kirk!/Talk to the Fist: The first time Dean tries to talk Todd out of crushing the bullies, the kid sends him flying.