Recap: Supernatural S 04 E 05 Monster Movie
Recap of Supernatural Season 4, Episode 5:
Written by Ben Edlund.
Directed by Robert Singer.
Air Date: October 16, 2008.
Sam and Dean go to investigate a possible vampire killing only to end up involved in a series of murders modeled after old monster movies
of The Golden Age of Hollywood
For this episode = 3 humans and 1 shapeshifter.
For the series so far = At least 261 humans (of which 3 were witches), 52 demons, 24 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 wendigo, 1 zombie.
- A Man Is Not a Virgin: Played with. After being brought back from Hell, Dean believes he has been "re-hymen-ated". Sam, however, believes that his history is so sordid that even an angel can't wipe it clean.
- Anyone Can Die
- Body count for this episode = three humans and one shapeshifter.
- Big Electric Switch: Drac takes his time reaching for it, to draw out the suspense as much as possible.
- Buxom Is Better: Plenty of buxom beer wenches with Oktoberfest on.
Dean: "I never forget a pretty [glaces down at Jamie's chest] everything."
- Breather Episode
- Captive Date
- The Casanova: Dean, as always.
- Cliché Storm: Beautifully and hilariously invoked.
- Classical Movie Vampire: Dracula. Invoked by the shapeshifter.
- Credits Gag: The opening credits list several producers, co-producers, executive producers, co-executive producers...
- Curse Cut Short: "You sorry sack of sh-" [punch]
- Damsel in Distress: Jamie. She turns into a Damsel out of Distress when she stands up to "Dracula" and is the one to kill him.
- Deliberately Monochrome
- Evil Is Hammy
- Face Death with Dignity: Despite his earlier Genre Blindness, Dracula accepts that his death is in fact the most appropriate ending.
- Famous Last Words: Even when dying, Drac can't stop hamming away.
- Genre Blindness: Dean points out that the monster gets killed at the end of every monster movie. Dracula replies that this is his movie, and this time the monster wins and gets the girl!
- Girl of the Week: Jamie for Dean.
- Grievous Bottley Harm: After realizing he's been drugged, Dean smashes the bottle to carve up the person responsible...then keels over unconscious.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Optimus Primal is the sheriff.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Spoofed; the first witness drinks from a huge beer stein when giving his statement to the Winchesters, the next witness drinks from a super-size soda cup.
- Immune to Bullets: The Mummy, but not Dracula (who is shot with Silver Bullets).
- Knockout Punch
- Large Ham
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Dean notes before getting to the town that the supposed vampire investigation is a simple, "black and white case."
- Left the Background Music On: Haunting '50s music plays during the Title Sequence as we view in on Dean, who then meddles with his car radio, complaining about how bad the local station is.
- Mad Scientist Laboratory: Dean is Strapped to an Operating Table in Frankenstein's lab, so Dracula can electrocute him.
- Moment Killer: Lucy interrupts Jaime and Dean kissing.
- Monster Mash: Dracula, a Wolf Man and a Mummy. Technically subverted, as it's one monster: a shapeshifter.
- Monster Sob Story
- Neck Lift: The Mummy killing the security guard.
- Not So Stoic: Whenever something happens with Jaime that isn't according to Drac's script.
Drac: "PUT ON THE GOWN!"
- Ominous Fog: Turns out to have created by a bucket of dry ice in the Mummy's coffin.
- Ominous Pipe Organ: Sam enters an old movie theater (currently showing Phantom of the Opera) and sees the sinister shadow of someone pounding away on a pipe organ. The man then presses a button and starts playing light music instead, as the 'organ' is just a digital keyboard resting on an old dresser.
- "Open!" Says Me meets Special Effects Failure. Sam goes to kick down a heavy wooden double door, only to knock a hole in what's actually a flimsy prop. The second kick sends it off its hinges.
- The End... Or Is It?: A question mark appears after THE END.
- Our Vampires Are Different: The bite on the first victim's neck is two neat little bites, which confuses Sam and Dean, since in Supernatural vampire bites are huge, messy wounds.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Like the vampire, the Wolf Man causes the Winchesters some confusion, since Supernatural werewolves aren't like the traditional Wolf Man.
- Out of Order: The episode was originally meant to be the third episode of this season.
- Pivotal Wake-up: The Mummy rising from its coffin.
- Red Herring
- Running Gag: Sam mistaking an innocent person for a monster and then awkwardly apologizing after attacking them.
- Screaming Woman: Anne-Marie.
Jamie: So you guys are like Mulder and Scully or something and the X Files are real?
- Slashers Prefer Blondes: The villain isn't a slasher, but it's likely not a coincidence his preferred 'bride' is blonde, given their popularity in the movies he's copying.
- Slipping a Mickey
- Smash to Black: "End scene." [boots Dean in the face]
- Special Edition Title
- Stalker with a Crush: "Dracula".
- Take That: "Satan-worshiping Anne Rice-reading psycho Gothic vampire wannabe"
- Tempting Fate: "Anna-Marie, there aren't any wolves in Pennsylvania." [wolfman pulls him out of the car]
- Terror At Make Out Point
- This Is Reality: What The X-Files isn't.
- Title Drop
Drac: It is a monster movie, after all.
- Vampire Vords
- Villain Exit Stage Left: Spoofed with Drac putting away on a moped, including honking the horn.
- Villain Has a Point: At the end, Dean admits that he agrees with the shapeshifter that life would be simpler if it was like a movie.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting
- Wolf Man