Recap of Supernatural Season 4, Episode 6:
Written by Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin.
Directed by Phil Sgriccia.
Air Date: October 23, 2008.
Dean contracts a ghost sickness in Rock Ridge, Colorado
that makes him terrified of everything, so Sam and Bobby go after the ghost who is causing it.
For this episode = 3 humans and 1 ghost.
For the series so far = At least 264 humans (of which 3 were witches), 52 demons, 25 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 wendigo, 1 zombie.
- Blatant Lies
Deputy Linus: Is he drunk?
[Dean sways in background]
- Cat Scare
- The Cast Showoff: Jim Beaver is fluent in Japanese.
- Chain Pain/Off with His Head!
- Credits Gag: The end credits feature Jensen Ackles lip-syncing and dancing to "Eye of the Tiger".
- Creepy Child: Lilith is back.
- Drives Like Crazy: Dean's lack of this is one of the first signs he isn't in his right mind.
- The End... Or Is It?: Sam's eyes flash yellow one last time AFTER Dean is supposed to be cured.
- Gentle Giant: Luther Garland. He's even shown tenderly holding a kitten to make it as obvious as possible.
- Hallucinations: Victims of ghost sickness start hallucinating after awhile.
- Heart Beat Soundtrack: Used in the later stages of Dean's illness to remind us of the threat of his heart attack.
- How We Got Here: The episode begins with Dean running in terror from...a tiny dog with a pink bow on its head.
- Ironic Echo Cut: The screen pans directly from Sam telling Dean that they have a great plan to Bobby telling him that this is a terrible plan, and Sam agreeing.
- The scene changes directly from Dean telling the sheriff that it was probably just a heart attack to him telling Sam that it's "definitely not a heart attack".
- Laser-Guided Karma: The theme of this episode's ghost, who inflicts fear on those who use it on others.
- Noodle Incident: When he's ranting about how insane their lives are, Dean mentions a truck-stop waitress with a bizarre rash.
- OOC Is Serious Business: The first few signs that Dean is infected with the ghost sickness are: he drives the speed limit, turns down food, and refuses to carry a weapon.
- Running Gag: Sam and Dean using the names of band members as aliases. In this case, they're Tyler and Perry. Like Aerosmith.
- Screams Like a Little Girl
- Screw This, I'm Out of Here!/I Need a Freaking Drink
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Dean's fear of Sam turning dark-side like Azazel wanted manifests as Sam trying to kill him while flashing Azazel's trademark Uh-Oh Eyes.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Dean when he is worried about pretending to be FBI.
- Later, when Bobby jokes about him being scared:
Dean: I'm fine. Do you want to go hunting? I'll hunt. I'll kill anything.
Bobby: He's adorable.
- 10-Minute Retirement: Dean wants to stop hunting when cursed, but he gets better in the end.
- Terrified of Germs: Sheriff Britton, later revealed to be a symptom of the ghost sickness.
- The Stinger: Jensen Ackles lip-syncing "Eye of The Tiger".
- "What Do They Fear?" Episode
- You Have 48 Hours: More like 24.