Season 4, Episode 6
Dean contracts a ghost sickness that makes him terrified of everything, so Sam and Bobby go after the ghost who is causing it.
For this episode = 3 humans and 1 ghost.
For the series so far = At least 264 humans (of which 3 were witches), 52 demons, 25 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 rougarou, 1 shtriga, 1 wendigo, 1 zombie.
- Blatant Lies
Deputy Linus: Is he drunk?
Dean sways in the background.
- Cat Scare
- The Cast Showoff — Jim Beaver is fluent in Japanese.
- Chain Pain / Off with His Head!
- Credits Gag: The end credits feature Jensen Ackles lip synching and dancing to Eye of the Tiger.
- Creepy Child: Lilith is back.
- Drives Like Crazy: Dean's lack of this is one of the first signs he isn't in his right mind.
- The End... Or Is It?: Sam's eyes flash yellow one last time AFTER Dean is supposed to be cured.
- Foreshadowing: Dean getting infected while Sam doesn't, and what Lilith says to taunt him about Hell are actually hints; Supernatural S 04 E 10 Heaven And Hell reveals that Dean had tortured other souls in Hell.
- Gentle Giant: Luther Garland; he is even shown to be tenderly holding a kitten to make it as obvious as possible
- Hallucinations: Victims of ghost sickness start hallucinating after awhile.
- Heart Beat Soundtrack: used in the later stages of Dean's panic illness to remind us of the threat of his heart attack
- How We Got Here: the episode begins with Dean running in terror from... a tiny dog.
- Ironic Echo Cut: The screen pans directly from Sam telling Dean that they have a great plan to him telling Bobby that this is a terrible plan.
- Also, the scene changes directly from Dean telling the sheriff that it was probably just a heart attack to him telling Sam that it's "definitely not a heart attack".
- Laser-Guided Karma: the theme of this episode's ghost, who inflicts fear on those who use it on others.
- Noodle Incident: When he's ranting about how insane their lives are, Dean mentions a truckstop waitress with a bizarre rash.
- OOC Is Serious Business: The first few signs that Dean is infected with the ghost sickness are that he drives the speed limit, turns down food, and refuses to carry a weapon.
- Rewatch Bonus: After watching Supernatural S 04 E 10 Heaven And Hell, it becomes pretty clear why Dean gets infected in this episode.
- Running Gag: Sam and Dean using the names of band members as aliases. In this case, they're Tyler and Perry. Like Aerosmith.
- Screams Like a Little Girl
- Screw This Im Out Of Here / I Need a Freaking Drink
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: Dean's fear of Sam turning dark-side like Azazel had wanted manifests as Sam trying to kill him while flashing Azazel's trademarked Uh-Oh Eyes.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Dean when he is worried about pretending to be FBI.
- Later, when Bobby jokes about him being scared:
Dean: I'm fine. Do you want to go hunting? I'll hunt. I'll kill anything.
Bobby: He's adorable.
- 10-Minute Retirement: Dean wants to stop hunting when cursed but he gets better in the end.
- Terrified of Germs: Sheriff Britton, later revealed to be a symptom of the ghost sickness.
- The Stinger: Jensen Ackles lip syncing "Eye of The Tiger"
- "What Do They Fear?" Episode
- You Have 48 Hours: More like 24.