Recap: Superman The Animated Series S 3 E 2 Knight Time
Another crossover episode with Batman: The Animated Series.When Roxy Rocket tears into Metropolis, she tells Supes that Batman is missing, meaning Gotham City is being overrun by crime, so she came to Metropolis to try her luck there. Supes heads to Gotham to investigate, where he finds and assists Robin (Tim Drake) with foiling a robbery. When the trouble is over, Robin is hesitant to tell Supes about what's going on, but he's immediately surprised by what the Man of Steel knows...
- Superman: "Where's your boss?"Robin: *Shrugs* "Around."Superman: "Alright, let's try this another way. Where's Bruce?"
- Brainiac: Kal'El. This development was highly improbable.Superman: Today's been full of surprises. *Punches Brainiac out a window*
This episode contains examples of:
- Blood Knight: Bane. He's excited to see Batman alive and well, as it means he still has a chance to break him. Unfortunately for him, Superman happens to be in the cowl that evening.
- Call Back: How Brainiac brainwashed Bruce is one to World's Finest.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: After Bat!Supes stops holding back on Bane, he proceeds to wipe the floor with him.
- Distressed Dude: Robin is briefly trapped in a cage by Riddler. However, he doesn't take long to free himself, and to add insult to injury, he cuffs Riddler's arms to the bars and leaves him hanging in the air as the cage rises.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Superman has to hold back when he fights Bane, but after Bane is led to think he's won, Superman stops holding back. It's both hilarious and awesome at the same time.
- Identity Impersonator: Superman filling in for Batman.
- I'm Standing Right Here / Insult Friendly Fire: Robin momentarily forgets that Superman isn't human.Robin: Bruce is being controlled by aliens? Eww!
Superman: I'm deeply hurt.
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique: Superman is initially reluctant to use this on The Penguin, but with a little urging from Robin, he emulates Batman's manner of interrogation superbly.
- Masquerading As The Unseen: The premise of the episode, as Superman dons Batman's cape and cowl.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!": Bane, Riddler and the Mad Hatter are in various states of panic when Bat!Supes not only starts pushing the moai head Bane dumped on him, but then sends it flying across the room.
- Mugging the Monster: Bane is excited to fight Batman. Unfortunately for him, Superman is impersonating Batman.
- Not Me This Time: Since Bruce is under mind control, Robin immediately suspects the Mad Hatter is behind it, but Hatter tells them that the technology is use is far more advanced than anything he's ever made, and they find out it's actually Brainiac.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Bruce Wayne's behavior while brainwashed — and specifically the fact that he's smiling — pretty much causes Robin to instantly suspect that something's up.
- Superman Stays out of Gotham: Averted by necessity, though Superman has to reluctantly adopt Batman's methods to get things done. However, he does an admirable job of it with Robin's assistance, and he has a bit of fun using his superpowers discreetly to fool Batman's enemies (first by proving to be out of Bane's league even with the Venom, and confusing Mad Hatter with super speed).
- Villain Team-Up: Bane, The Riddler and the Mad Hatter were planning to do this before Superman and Robin showed up.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Brainiac was about to do this to Bruce before Superman and Robin stopped him.