Recap / Superman The Animated Series S 2 E 10 Double Dose
Livewire, having escaped from prison, teams up with Parasite to take revenge on Superman. Each supervillain gave the Man of Steel major trouble during their last encounter. How can he defeat the two of them as a team?
This episode contains examples of:
- Batman Gambit: Superman takes a swipe at the electrically-powered Parasite with a broom. Gloatingly, the supervillain zaps it, setting the end on fire. Cue super-smirk as the Man of Steel raises the broom to the smoke detectors.
- Big "NO!": Parasite, when he realizes he's played right into Superman's hands.
- Bond Villain Stupidity: Parasite might have gotten away if he had not been so insistent on getting Superman.
- Boring, but Practical:
- When Lois Lane needs to go out in a heavy storm she dresses in an unflattering plain yellow rain poncho. When Clark (having a Eureka Moment) stares at her, she points out that even if it is not particularly attractive or special it will keep her dry.
- Superman then confronts Livewire and Parasite by laminating himself in a non-conducting rubber. Parasite can't touch his skin, and he's immune to Livewire's electric blasts.
- Combat Pragmatist: Superman's rubber suit; when Parasite calls "no fair!" on this, Superman says "I wasn't aware there were any rules."
- Continuity Nod: Parasite still is watching his cable TV from his last appearance.
- Does This Remind You of Anything? / Getting Crap Past the Radar: At one point, Parasite tries to grab Livewire from behind. While his motive is to steal her powers the claustrophic scene, combined with how Livewire defends herself has a very strong rape subtext.
- The End... Or Is It?
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Parasite gains Livewire's weakness to water after taking her powers.
- Eureka Moment: Clark sees Lois don a raincoat, and the idea of a plastic suit occurs to him.
- Failed a Spot Check: the guard who was supposed to make sure that no electronics got near Livewire's cell. How could he notice a watch and miss earphones?
- Forceful Kiss: Livewire kissed Dan Turpin without consent, shocking him into unconsciousness, simply for fun. As you might expect, Superman was not amused. Turpin was discussing her escape from prison at a press conference:
Turpin: If that short circuit comes within a hundred feet of here, I'll...
Livewire (from the radio next to him): Pucker up and plant a big wet one directly on her lips.
- The Guards Must Be Crazy: Livewire escapes after a janitor breaks three rules. One, bringing an electronic device near her cell, two, talking to her (which he admits he isn't allowed to do), and the stupidest of all, letting her use said electronic device. (Who hired this idiot?)
- Kiss of Death: Downplayed. Livewire kissing Dan Turpin put him out for some amount of time, but at the end of the story, he's back as good as ever.
- Power Copying: Parasite eventually takes Superman and Livewire's powers.
- Villain Team-Up: a major part of the story is Livewire and Parasite teaming up.
- What an Idiot: In-universe, the janitor who lets Livewire listen to his music, especially after entering into a checkpoint where no electronic devices were allowed.