Recap / Superman The Animated Series S 1 E 13 Twos A Crowd
The police besiege a heavily fortified house, and even Superman has some trouble breaking through the defenses. He finally reaches the occupant — a former STAR Labs employee named Earl Garver, who stole an isotope sample and used it to build a bomb to hold the city hostage. Unfortunately, Garver got a concussion during the battle, and will be unconscious until long after the detonation deadline. The authorities resort to making a deal with the Parasite to read Garver's thoughts and get the information. Unfortunately, Garver's will proves strong enough to take over the Parasite's body and powers.
This episode contains examples of the following tropes:
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: When Garver!Parasite gloats that his original body is far away from the bomb, Superman points out that he's writing off the Parasite's original Rudy Jones personality as expendable. Rudy doesn't take this very well.
- Mundane Wish: Parasite is willing to cooperate in exchange for cable TV (with premium channels) in his cell.
- Snipe Hunt: Garver!Parasite lies about the bomb's location, buying time to escape while Superman is otherwise occupied.
- Spanner in the Works: The plan was for the Parasite to obtain Garver's knowledge about the bomb, but no one expected Garver to have such a strong will.
- Voices Are Mental: Garver speaks through the Parasite's body. This is a deliberate use of the trope to show that Garver has overwhelmed Rudy's personality.