Recap / Superman The Animated Series S 2 E 11 Solar Power
The sun seems to have been partially blocked, and Superman begins to lose his powers as the necessary rays fail to reach him. As Lois Lane
investigates, she and Jimmy are kidnapped by the villain responsible - Edward Lytener, who has reinvented himself as a supervillain called Luminus. With his love and his friend held hostage, Superman has to face Lytener in battle. Can the depowered Man of Steel survive?
This episode contains examples of:
- Bond Villain Stupidity: He can't Just Shoot Him, he has to rub it in first.
- Brought Down to Normal: Lytener's scheme. Superman didn't like it, because not only did it hamper his super-heroics, but also he got to experience such things as pulled muscles.
- Brought Down to Badass: Unfortunately, Lytener didn't recognize that Superman is no easy target even sans superpowers.
- Call Back: Lytener last appeared in "Target."
- Canon Foreigner: Lytener did not appear in the comics.
- Evil Gloating: Lytener could not resist making this mistake.
- Hard Light: Luminus' superpower.
- I Have Your Friends: Gets Superman to come find him by showing him an image of his hostages.
- Mythology Gag:
- When Lois and Jimmy arrive at what turns out to be Lytener's invisible lair, Lois notices something odd:
Look, up in the sky. Jimmy: It's a bird. Lois:
Yeah, but what's it sitting on?
- Nothing Personal: Lytener claims this is true about kidnapping Lois.
- Not Me This Time: Again, Luthor seems to have nothing to do with Lytner's plan.
- Oh, Crap!: Lytener's look when he realizes that his opponent is returning to full power.
- Smug Snake: Right up until he realizes that Superman has damaged his sun-filtering gadget. Even then, he remains overconfident — instead of prudently fleeing, he continues trying to fight even as Superman's powers begin to return.
- Trap Is the Only Option: Dr. Hamilton points out that the Villain of the Week is trying to catch the Man of Steel at one of his weak points. Superman knows, but because the rogue has Lois and Jimmy, he doesn't feel he has a choice.
- Unwilling Suspension: What Luminus does to Lois and Jimmy.
- Villain Ball: Lytener's tight grip on this is what kept him from winning.
- While Rome Burns: There's a crisis, it's likely going to hurt LexCorp's PR, and Luthor is losing millions in communications revenue, yet Luthor spends the time practicing archery.