"The wise man leads, the strong man follows."Having successfully conquered the Umbaran airbase, General Krell plans to send the 501st against the Umbaran capital in a suicidal distraction for Obi-Wan's forces. The clones suggest using the captured Umbaran fighters to take out the Separatist supply ship that is supporting the capital, but Krell refuses.
This episode provides examples of:
- Call Back: Fives gets the idea of destroying the supply ship from the inside from when Anakin told him about doing the same thing back in The Phantom Menace.
- Continuity Nod: Fives' conversation with General Krell over the comlink as Hardcase attempts to control his wayward fighter plays out similarly to when Han Solo tries to bluff in the Death Star detention block in A New Hope, complete with Krell demanding the trooper's operating number.
- Heroic Sacrifice: With the generators protected by ray shields and his ship damaged, Hardcase removes a weapons pod and manually drags it into the generator room, even though he knows this won't allow him enough time to escape the resulting explosion.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: Fives, Hardcase, and Jesse eventually disobey Krell to destroy the Separatist supply ship. Despite succeeding in their mission (at the cost of Hardcase's life), Krell promise to have them court-martialed and executed for their "act of insubordination."
- Trojan Horse: The captured Umbaran fighters and the access codes provide entry to the supply ship.