Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 05 E 19 Ties Of Blood And Water
Tekeny Ghemor, the Cardassian who befriended Kira in "Second Skin
", comes to the station at her request. He has been in danger on his homeworld since the Cardassians allied with the Dominion and Gul Dukat was placed in charge of the empire. Kira hopes that Ghemor will use DS9 as the base of a resistance to Dukat's rule, but Ghemor reveals that he has a terminal disease and doesn't have long to live. Kira agrees to record all the intelligence he can provide about Cardassian politics, but when information about his part in the Bajoran occupation comes to light, she's not sure if she can continue.
- Back from the Dead: Weyoun by way of cloning.
- Blatant Lies: At the end, Dukat says that Ghemor had a last minute change of heart and praised the new Dominion government of Cardassia. Sisko is quick to call him out on this.
Sisko: There's just one small problem. It never happened.
Weyoun: As you say, it's a small problem.
- Captain's Log: Subverted. Sisko is about to give one when he's interrupted by Dukat.
- Deathbed Confession: Since Ghemor's only remaining relative is MIA, he chooses Kira for the Shri-tal.
- Dispense with the Pleasantries: Sisko pulls this on Dukat for being self-aggrandizingly talkative.
- Due to the Dead: After her father's death, Kira immediately digs his grave. The episode ends with her having buried Ghemor, right next to her father, under the same tree.
- Dukat tries to get Ghemor's body claiming he's going to be given a hero's funeral back on Cardassia, but was probably lying.
- Dying Alone: Kira's father. She's convinced to return to Ghemor's side as "No one deserves to die alone".
- Expendable Clone: This episode introduces the concept of Vorta cloning. This was done because producers loved Jeffrey Combs as Weyoun, but didn't have time to rewrite "To the Death" to change Weyoun's death.
- Flashback: A few interspersed to show Kira losing her father and how she handled it. Furel (killed off in "The Darkness and the Light") also appears and still has both arms at this point.
- Foreshadowing: Ghemor reveals that many Cardassians were actually not happy with the deal Dukat cut with the Dominion. This would pay big dividends in Season 7.
- Gunboat Diplomacy: When Sisko agrees to take Dukat's request for Ghemor's extradition "under advisement" (in other words, not at all likely), Dukat shows up in a Dominion warship to force the issue.
- It's a Long Story: Kira and Jadzia give Worf a brief synopsis of the aforementioned "Second Skin" when explaining how Kira could be friends with a Cardassian.
- Joker Immunity: The reason the character Weyoun was brought back.
- Just the First Citizen: Dukat insists on still being addressed as gul, finding it to be "less pretentious" than the alternatives like Legate, President, Emperor, First Minister, or Emissary. At the last one, Sisko suggests "Dominion Puppet."
- Like a Daughter to Me: How Ghemor feels about Kira.
- Meaningful Background Event: When Sisko calls Dukat a "Dominion puppet", the Cardassian behind Dukat gives his Jem'Hadar counterpart a nervous look.
- My Greatest Failure: Kira couldn't face her father's death, and ran away to go on a raid. He died alone calling out for her, something that clearly still haunts her.
Kira: I owed to it him. I owed it to my father, to get it right this time.
- No-Sell: Weyoun demonstrates his engineered Vorta poison immunity by drinking the incredibly lethally poisoned kanar and appearing to get nothing worse than a bad case of heartburn.
Weyoun (shuddering): Ohh, my. That is quite toxic, isn't it?
- Not So Above It All: Weyoun gets a kick out of dabo.
Weyoun: DABO! (laughs out loud) That is dabo, isn't it? (continues laughing)
Dukat: I don't see why you insist on playing this ridiculous game.
Weyoun: I like games.
- Parental Substitute: Ghemor to Kira.
- Please Don't Leave Me: Kira ignores this plea from her father to go on a raid, and he dies an hour before she returns. She later admits she didn't want to witness it and would've taken any excuse to leave. When it comes time for Ghemor to die, Kira stays by his side.
- Smug Snake: Dukat, as always.
Kira: You are really enjoying this, aren't you? Hm? All your sick little games.
Dukat: I must admit, I do get a certain... perverse pleasure out of it.
- Time Passes Montage: Kira caring for the dying Ghemor while recording his Deathbed Confession.
- Understatement: Dukat says that drinking kanar on an empty stomach is bad for one's digestion. Especially, as Sisko points out, when the kanar is poisoned.
- You're Insane!: Dukat's reaction when Weyoun demonstrates Vorta poison immunity by chugging a glass of poisoned Kanar.
Dukat: Are you insane?