Quark receives a long-overdue gift from his cousin Gaila: a starship of his own. He and Rom decide to take Nog to Earth so he can enter Starfleet Academy, but something goes wrong with the ship and they are hurled into the past. They crash on Earth and have to figure out how to deal with the soldiers holding them and get their ship fixed so they can get home.
- Actor Allusion: Nog's pajama shirt Rom buys is the same shirt Sovak(Both played by Max Grodénchik) wore back in TNG's "Captains Holiday".
- Continuity Nod: While looking through historical records, Nog notes how Gabriel Bell looks a lot like Sisko.
- Everybody Smokes: Just about everyone on the military base does, shocking the Ferengi who have only dealt with humans in the No Smoking future and giving Quark ideas.
Quark: If these people will buy poison, they'll buy anything!
- Honest John's Dealership: The hardass commander sizes Quark up pretty well by comparing him to his brother-in-law, a used car salesman.
- Shout-Out: Megan Gallagher's nurse character is named Faith Garland, after B-Movie star Beverly Garland.
- What Could Have Been: One early draft of the script ended with Rex Denning swearing everyone present to secrecy, including one soldier who has only been seen in the background up to this point.
Denning:You haven't seen anything that has gone on here tonight You got that Lieutenant Roddenberry?
Lieutenant Roddenberry: Yes, Sir! (Looks up to the sky as Quark's ship disappears into space).
- You Look Familiar: Lt General Rex Denning is played by Charles Napier, who played "Space Hippie" Adam in TOS episode The Way To Eden.