Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 04 E 08 Little Green Men
Season 4, Episode 8
Little Green Men
Quark receives a long-overdue gift from his cousin Gaila: a starship of his own. He and Rom decide to take Nog to Earth so he can enter Starfleet Academy, but something goes wrong with the ship and they are hurled into the past. They crash on Earth and have to figure out how to deal with the soldiers holding them and get their ship fixed so they can get home.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Big Damn Heroes: Odo, who snuck onto Quark's ship and ends up helping the Ferengi escape.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: During a conversation with the General wanting to know what Quark knows about earth.
Quark: Baseball, root beer, darts, atom bombs.
- Chekhov's Gun: Bashir and O'Brien's gift to Nog, an encyclopedia on Earth, comes in handy throughout the episode.
- Conqueror from the Future: Quark decides to try and do this. He doesn't count on the paranoia of the military personnel.
- Continuity Nod: While looking through historical records, Nog notes how Gabriel Bell looks a lot like Sisko.
- Who is the person Quark entrusts with running the bar during his absence? Morn! We already know that he will eventually inherit the bar in at least one possible future timeline.
- Deus Ex Nukina: Quark and co. take advantage of a nearby nuclear test to power their return to the 24th century.
- Everybody Smokes: Just about everyone on the military base does, shocking the Ferengi who have only dealt with humans in the No Smoking future and giving Quark ideas.
Quark: If these people will buy poison, they'll buy anything!
- General Ripper: General Denning and Captain Wainwright are convinced that the Ferengi are here to invade Earth, and will not accept any evidence to the contrary. Wainwright in particular is fairly bloodthirsty.
- Giving Radio to the Romans: Once trapped in the past, Quark intends to do this... in exchange for as much money as he can get.
- Hidden Depths: One of the first episodes to truly demonstrate Rom's mechanical genius, after Nog mentioned he could have been chief engineer of a starship in "Heart of Stone."
- Honest John's Dealership: The hardass commander sizes Quark up pretty well by comparing him to his brother-in-law, a used car salesman.
- Humans Advance Swiftly: Nog points out that it took humans half as long as Ferengi to go from primitive to interstellar civilization. And the Ferengi didn't even develop warp drive, they bought it.
- Subverted in that Quark is horrified to hear humans used nuclear fission which almost no other species has done and irridiated their own planet.
- I Knew It: In-universe, this is Captain Wainwright's reaction upon Nog "confessing" the Ferengi conquest plans.
- I Want My Mommy: Rom says he wants his Moogie when threatened with interrogation.
- Newspaper Dating: A slow pan over a calendar establishes the month as July 1947.
- Not So Different: In a way, Worf and Nog. Worf mentions to Chief O'Brien that Ferengi don't belong in Starfleet Academy. O'Brien says people said the same thing about Klingons.
- Worf is then impressed by a Ferengi tooth sharpener and buys it from Nog.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Turns out Odo didn't believe Quark was merely taking Nog to Earth. He busts him for kemocite smuggling.
- Quark was also a bit surprised that the ship Gaila gave him was actually in pristine condition. That's a very un-Ferengi-like gift, one would have expected the cheapest old ship Gaila could find, instead. Of course, it soon turned out that the ship was sabotaged for killing Quark...
- Roswell That Ends Well: Turns out it was Quark, Rom, and Nog. And Odo.
- Shout-Out: Megan Gallagher's nurse character is named Faith Garland, after B-Movie star Beverly Garland. She also quotes the Next Generation intro narration almost verbatim.
- Translator Microbes: It appears that the universal translator takes the form of modules placed into the ear canal. Deep enough that a pin is required to hit the reset button.
- Truth Serum: The military attempt to use sodium pentathol on Quark. Apparently it doesn't work on Ferengi.