crew find themselves in a deep space game of cat and mouse when two Jem'Hadar ships force them to hide among the dangerous and turbulent winds of a gas giant.
- Call Back: O'Brien cuts tension in the engine room by telling of the action from the "Improbable Cause"/"The Die Is Cast" two parter. He apparently tells it a lot.
- Concussions Get You High: Averted. Sisko spends most of the episode barely conscious, with a panicked Kira trying to keep him awake.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory: When Worf takes command in engineering, he notices that the control panels have been reconfigured. He tells the engineers to reset them to the standard layout, to prevent this from happening.
- Locked in a Room: Where Bashir and Dax spend most of the episode.
- Mandatory Line: Odo only appears in one scene, advising Hanok to not blow his money at Quarks.
- Massively Numbered Siblings: Morn apparently regales Bashir with a story about his 17 brothers and sisters.
- Sub Story: IN SPACE!
- Wire Dilemma: With a torpedo just waiting to explode, Quark throws caution to the wind and yanks out a part. He chooses correctly.
- Whole Plot Reference: It's basically Das Boot in space.
- You Look Familiar: James Cromwell makes his third appearance (and final credited appearance in the television versions) in the franchise, following his roles in "The Hunted" and the "Birthright" two parter.