A Trill science team arrive at DS9, exploring the possibility of creating stable wormholes for space travel. But issues arise when Dax finds out the expedition is headed by Lenara Kahn. Formerly Nilani Kahn, widow of Torias Dax. And the two have to wonder if possible exile is worth rekindling their previous hosts romance.
- Big Damn Kiss: And good lord, do they tease it for a while.
- Blatant Lies: Dax claims she's never let relationships from her previous lives interfere with her life as Jadzia...ignoring when she went on trial for possible murder as Curzon and getting drafted into a Klingon revenge mission.
- Comically Serious: When asked what Klingons dreamed of, Worf mentions "things that would send shivers down your spine" stating it would best if they didn't know. Kira can't tell if he was joking or not.
- Discount Lesbians: Of the Trill variety. Dax more so than Lenara.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Condemning the symbiont to exile and final death seems a bit excessive for simply reassociating with a lover from a former life.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Oh boy, yes. The DVD features have quite a few people talking about how much joy they took in walking right up to the line of Rick Berman's ban on homosexual material. Technically Dax and Lenara are simply resuming a previous heterosexual relationship, but the audience can never forget that they're actually seeing two women acting out a romance.
- Fate Worse Than Death: The punishment for rekindling romantic relationships from a previous host's life is permanent exile from Trill. Which means no new host for the symbiont when the current host dies. In the end, Lenara isn't willing to go through with it.
- Third Wheel: Poor Bashir gets dragged along on a dinner date with Dax and Lenara. They barely even notice he's there.