Recap / Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 04 E 09 The Sword Of Kahless
Dax's old friend Kor returns to the station with surprising news: he may know where to find the legendary Sword of Kahless, the weapon wielded by the greatest hero of Klingon history. The two of them, and Worf, set out to recover this artifact, but finding it may be the easy part.
This episode provides examples of
- Artifact of Doom: The sword doesn't have any actual powers, but its allure of power drives Kor and Worf to damn near kill each other.
- Broken Pedestal: Worf starts seeing Kor as less of a hero and more of a drunken old man.
- Call Back: Worf mentions Kor's fight with Captain Kirk.
- Chew Out Fake Out: Kor when he first meets Worf:
Kor: Ah, Worf—the traitor, the pariah, the lowest of the low...it's a pleasure to meet you. Any enemy of Gowron and the high council is a friend of mine.
- Which is kind of ironic when Gowron probably would have looked up to him as a great hero, whereas his successor Martok hated Kor for an old slight that kept him from a commission.
- Cool Sword: Kahless's Bat'leth is flashier◊ looking than a traditional one.
- Mandatory Line: Sisko only appears long enough to authorize the sword-hunting mission. The other cast members only stick around for Kor's story.
- Mundane Utility: The bat'leth is used to cook something over the fire. When Worf gets indignant over this, Kor points out that Kahless used it as a sword, not a holy artifact.
- Noisy Shut-Up: Dax stuns both Worf and Kor to stop their fighting.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: Worf mentions that Kor led an assault on Romulus itself.
- Only Sane Man: Poor Dax is stuck trying to keep Worf and Kor from offing each other over the sword.
- Reverse Polarity: How Worf and Jadzia get past one force field.
- Ungrateful Bastard: Worf spared Toral's life several years ago. Toral repays Worf by trying to kill him. He even taunts Worf about this to his face. Honorless petaQ.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Dax chews Worf out for almost letting Kor fall to his death from The Precarious Ledge.
- The World Is Not Ready: Realizing how divisive the Sword of Kahless made them, Worf and Kor decide the Klingon Empire isn't ready to embrace the sword themselves, and they transport it into space.