Recap: Star Trek Deep Space Nine S 01 E 17 The Forsaken
Four pain-in-the-ass federation diplomats have come aboard DS9. And unluckily for Bashir, Sisko has foisted three of them off on him.The fourth? None other than Lwaxana Troi. While she plays at the Dabo table, she loudly exclaims her broach has been stolen. Though she doesn't sense any guilt in the room, Odo deduces and proves it's a random Dopterian. Distant cousins of the Ferengi, and thus immune to mind-reading. And much to Odo's chagrin, Lwaxana instantly takes a shine to him.Meanwhile, O'Brien is fighting with the notoriously finicky Cardassian computer system. A problem not helped when a mysterious probe comes through the wormhole.After nearly getting the Changeling equivalent of his bones jumped by Lwaxana, Odo actually asks for Sisko's help in getting her to leave him alone. Sisko merely laughs him off, and tells him to handle it.The probe meanwhile is interfering with the stations computers systems, knocking random ones out at random intervals.And just his luck, Odo happens to be in a lift with Lwaxana when the power cuts out. The transporters are down, he can't shape-shift out, and power restoration could take hours. In short, he's having a really bad day.Lwaxana passes by the time by talking, even recounting her experiences from "Menage A Troi". Odo, being polite as possible, tries figuring how many volts are in the lift. Though after a while, he shares his stories with her. About being examined by scientists and being used as a party favor. And why he' so "Self-sufficient".While the ops station tries figuring out how to expel the probes influence from their computers, Sisko asks Kira if she knows Odo's regeneration cycle schedule.Turns out it's hour 15 of his 16 hour cycle. And he can barely hold himself together. He's more than ashamed of being in this state around someone. As he explains, it's very private. So Lwaxana shares a private secret with him. Her "hair". Well, her wig. She wears it because he regular hair is "Too normal." After sharing this little moment, Lwaxana makes a bucket out of her skirt so Odo can revert to his liquid state.O'Brien meanwhile has figured out the problem. Comparing the mysterious program to a puppy, he realizes he's been trying to deprive it of what it wants. And after giving it just that, the program becomes benign and all systems are returned to normal. O'Brien decides to keep it, and is advised by Sisko to "Keep it off the furniture."Lwaxana and Odo emerge from the lift, both back to their regular appearance, and part ways as friends.And as for Bashir? He get's recommended for a commendation by the three diplomats when he saves them from an exploding corridor fire.
- Adorkable: You wouldn't think Odo of all people could be this. But his sheer confusion about Lwaxana's flirting is most assuredly this.
- Ass in Ambassador: Four of them! And poor Bashir gets stuck with three, while the fourth latches on to Odo.
- Boldly Coming: Lwaxana has no qualms about swimming the river Odo.Odo: Every sixteen hours, I turn into a liquid!Lwaxana: I can swim.
- Call Back: While trapped in the lift, Lwaxana recounts her experiences from the Next Generation episode "Menage A Troi".
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: While trying to get away from Lwaxana, Odo says he needs to inspect an upper pylon. Lwaxana happily tags along.
- Insistent Terminology: Madam Ambassador Taxco. Though she lightens up after Bashir saves her and the other two ambassadors from a burning corridor.
- Mathematician's Answer: In this exchange.Lwaxana: Is Odo your first or last name?Odo: Yes.
- Punishment Detail: How Bashir sees his assignment. Sisko also mentions to Jadzia he remembers when he was a junior officer, Curzon used to make him escort pompous ambassadors as well to keep them busy.
- Rescue Romance: Sort of. Odo saves Lwaxana's hair broach instead of her life, but that's apparently enough.
- Shout-Out: The ops teams attempt to disarm the computer is an obvious nod to 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- Uncomfortable Elevator Moment: Odo spends half the episode in one with Lwaxana, courtesy of an Elevator Failure.