Recap: Mystery Science Theater 3000 S 10 E 11 Horrors Of Spider Island
Film watched: Horrors of Spider Island
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation contains these tropes:
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: Mocked by Mike and the bots during the skinny-dipping scene. The girls were meant to be nude in-universe, but since the actresses were wearing Nude-Colored Clothing, it had this effect.Crow: (As the girls) We're nude and we have no nipples and we're uniformly colored!
- Call Back: When Mike and the bots are joking about the scientist being caught in a web "in the midst of a cheerleading routine", Crow mentions "MRxL."
- Failed a Spot Check: The bots invoke this when Mike gets trapped in a giant spider web on the SOL bridge.
- Historical In-Joke: When the girls try and fail to flag down a passing cruise ship, Mike remarks "Damn Californian, never helps anyone!" The Californian was a ship that was in the vicinity of the Titanic when it sank but didn't render aid for reasons that remain vague. May also count as a Genius Bonus.
- Ironic Echo: Mike and the bots tend to dramatically proclaim "THE HORRORS OF SPIDER ISLAND!"—shifting the emphasis between horrors and spider—whenever the movie ratchets up the Fanservice.
- This is actually a Call Back (WAY back) to Manos: The Hands of Fate, where Joel and the Bots spent the first half of the movie doing the same dramatic title drops whenever nothing was happening onscreen (which, again, was pretty much the first half of the movie... And maybe a good deal of the second half, too).
- Lame Pun Reaction:Gary: There you are, Georgia.Servo: Just north of Florida.Mike: D'oh!
- Never My Fault: After Gary inexplicably blames his kissing another woman on the heat.Servo: "Yes, I've been unfaithful, but it was like 87 degrees."
Crow: "It's also kinda windy. That, too. And high humidity..."
Servo: "You see, if it was in the low '70s, I would never have jammed my tongue down her throat."
- It's also kind of humid, too, so...
- Remember the New Guy: Lampshaded as being a rare location variety.Crow: Oh, right! The quicksand! Remember?
- Shout-Out:Servo: (confused about Spider-Gary's abilities) So, is he strong?Crow (enraged): LISTEN, BUD! HE'S GOT RADIOACTIVE BLOOD!
- The Talk: Pearl gives one to Bobo after he discovers some condoms but mistakes them for balloons. She does this off-camera, telling Mike and the Bots they're too young for it. We can't hear what Pearl says, but Bobo makes Squick noises.