Recap / Danny Phantom S 2 E 1 Memory Blank
Danny and Sam get into an argument, ending with her saying she wished she never met him, with Desirée perfectly placed to overhear and grant the wish. And since Sam was the one who prompted Danny to check out the ghost portal that made him half-ghost, not only does he not remember her, but he doesn't have his powers anymore, just as Desirée's planning her biggest attack ever the night of a meteor shower.
This episode provide examples of:
- Be Careful What You Say: "Danny, I swear, there are days I wish I had never even met you!"
- Borrowed Catch Phrase: Danny borrows Desirée's in the last scene.
Sam: Sorry about that stupid fight. Can we forget it ever happened?
Danny: So you have wished it, so shall it be.
- Broad Strokes: The flashbacks in this episode reveal that Sam and Tucker were present during the accident that gave Danny his powers. They're nowhere to be seen during the incident in the show's opening.
- During his argument with Sam, Danny brings up a lot of her moments that inadvertently got him into trouble, be it changing the school's lunch menu ("Mystery Meat"), letting out a gorilla ("One of a Kind"), or selling his father's stuff at a garage sale ("Attack of the Killer Garage Sale").
- One of Sam's pictures in the scrapbook is the one of Danny and Tucker sleeping next to each other in "One of a Kind".
- Chest Insignia: Sam gives Danny his in this episode.
- Continuity Nod: When Danny first (re)gains his powers, he has a hard time controlling his invisibility and intangibility like he did the first time he gained them.
- Fake-Out Make-Out: Danny and Sam do this again when Jack catches them in the basement.
- Fangirl: Sam qualifies as one for Danny Phantom when you see the doodles she's made in her notebook. She even wishes for one of them to be his Chest Insignia for no reason other than she likes the way it looks on him.
- Have We Met?: Danny's first reaction when he met Sam after she said her wish.
- Heel Realization: Danny is immediately regretful of his argument with Sam, knowing that she's one of the only two real friends he has (something he likely gets clued into once Paulina admits that she'd be willing to revoke his invitation to her party if she could just ask Danny Phantom herself). Unfortunately, just after Danny tries calling Sam's name, Desiree appears and grants her wish.
- How Do I Shot Web?: Danny tries fighting Desiree upon regaining his powers, but without his memories, relearning on the fly proves difficult. Sam tells Danny that he should try blasting a ghost ray from his hand. Danny tries, but it comes out of his rear end instead. Danny is suitably perturbed by this.
- Jackass Genie: Sam realizes she'll be stuck going to Paulina's party "unless something should happen to Paulina, and then the party got canceled. Not that I'd wish that." Desirée grants it anyway because she still said the words "I wish."
- Mangled Catchphrase: Danny, upon trying to fight as a ghost for the first time post-wish.
Danny: I'm...going...to become...ghostly!
Sam: It's "Going Ghost!"
Danny: (dismissively Nah.
- Master of Delusion: Paulina has noticed that Danny is always around when the Ghost Boy appears.
- My God, You Are Serious:
Paulina: Danny! You never told me whether or not you were coming to my quinceañera on Friday.
Danny: That's because when you invited me, I thought you were joking.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain!: Desirée granting Sam's wish of getting Danny's memories back really led to her defeat.
Desirée: I gotta stop granting every wish I hear.
- No-Sell: When Desirée rewrites reality so that Danny and Sam never met, only Sam remembers how things used to be because she was wearing the Specter Deflector at the time.
- Oh, Crap!: Danny, when realizing that with Desiree around to hear Sam's wish, it will come true.
- Papa Wolf: When one of the movie monsters comes to threaten Paulina, Mr. Lancer takes out a fire hydrant, tells it to leave his students alone, and hits it. It ultimately does nothing, so he just tells the students to run.
- Power Perversion Potential: Danny's apparently used his powers more than once to spy on the girls' locker room.
- Rescue Romance: Paulina fantasizes about the Ghost Boy saving her from a falling meteor. He does proceed to save her from several movie monsters brought to life.
- Selective Memory: Danny lists 3 times Sam got him in trouble. While the first two were indeed her fault, the third (selling his dad's stuff at a garage sale) wasn't, by any stretch — that was entirely Danny's idea.
- Ship Tease:
- When (re)meeting Sam, having no memory of her as his or Danny's best friend, Tucker immediately applies some Anticipatory Breath Spray and flirts with her.
- Much of the episode is filled with this for Danny/Sam. Between their initial fight, Danny wanting to make things right before Desiree stops him, him thinking Sam is a Stalker With a Crush when she tries to get him to remember things, their Fake-Out Make-Out (complete with the ghost plasma from the Fenton Portal shaping itself into a heart behind them), and the final conversation that has them both blushing.
- Shout-Out: Like Wanda in The Fairly OddParents! episode "The Boy Who Would Be Queen," Desirée specifically grants something someone says they would not wish for because their statement includes the phrase "I wish."
- Stalker With a Crush: Danny assumes this is what the crazy girl following him around insisting they're best friends is.
- Super Hero Origins Episode: Serves as this, as we now see the actual accident where Danny got his powers.
- This Cannot Be!: Desiree, upon seeing Danny has regained his ghost powers after she granted Sam's wish.
- This Is Gonna Suck: Danny, once Desiree reveals that she's about to grant Sam's wish and make it so that they never met.
- We Will Not Use Photoshop in the Future: Inverted. Sam still has a photograph of her with Danny and Tucker, identical to a photo of Danny's in every way except that she's now in it, and tries to use this to prove that she's telling the truth.
Sam: This is a photo I have of the three of us, from 8th grade. This is the same one you have in your locker. Notice anything?
Danny: Yeah — you broke into my locker and doctored an old photo of me. (flattered) You must really like me.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Despite being told about how a Jackass Genie is granting wishes and becoming more powerful through them (and right after Sam says not to make any wishes), Tucker nonchalantly makes a wish once he sees the falling stars. Not only that, but he specifically wishes for a "monster truck".
Sam: Do you pay attention? To anything? At all? Ever?