Recap / Danny Phantom S 1 E 6 What You Want
Coming from the creator of The Fairly OddParents!
, it was only a matter of time before Danny Phantom
introduced its own magical being who grants wishes. A little girl at a carnival accidentally releases the ghost genie Desirée from her bottle, who goes around town causing chaos with the wishes she grants, including Tucker's wish to have ghost powers like his friend. As an added bonus, as his powers grow, so does the jealousy that prompted the wish, and if Danny can't change his friend back soon, it'll be too late.
- Back Story: Desirée is given one that viewers are still struggling to interpret. The visual when Tucker says "Her spirit roamed granting people's deepest desires but at a great personal cost" implies it's at a "great personal cost" to herself, but in practice, she obviously grants people's wishes at a "great personal cost" to the wisher.
- "Be Careful What You Wish For"
Tucker: ... To that, I'd like to add a big fat, "Duh!"
- Briar Patching: Danny lures Tucker to his house before the latter finally catches him. Danny still has to get him to the Ghost Catcher, which is in his basement near the ghost portal.
Tucker: I wasn't going to, but that is a great idea!
- Cereal-Induced Superpowers: Referenced by one of the football announcers after Desirée turns Dash into a monster.
- The Corruption: Whatever Desirée does to Tucker grants him ghost powers and magnifies his jealousy and anger at Danny, turning him into a monster.
- De-Power: Introduces the Fenton Ghost Catcher, a device shaped like an Indian dream catcher that purges ghost energy from anything (or anyone) that passes through it and stops ghost energy from reaching anyone on the other side.
- Easily Forgiven: Danny holds no grudge against Tucker for what happened, as he was under a spell most of the time, even though Tucker admits the whole thing only happened because he was jealous.
- Fighting Your Friend: Danny is forced to fight Tucker in the second half of this episode.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Tucker's jealousy over Danny's powers causes him to slowly turn evil when he gets his own.
- Idiot Ball: The entire conflict only happens because it takes Danny a while to think of telling Desirée, "I wish you would disappear inside this thermos!"
Danny: If I weren't a C student, I would've thought of that five days ago.
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: Danny tries getting Tucker to remember they're friends, but it does no good.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Tucker's horrified once he's back to his old self and realizes what he did as a ghost.
- New Super Power: Danny discovers his ability to shoot energy blasts.
- Power at a Price: The more powerful Tucker gets, the more enraged he becomes.
- Race Against the Clock: Danny has until noon 2 days after Tucker got his powers to free his friend, or he'll be a vengeful, rage-filled ghost forever.
- Rival Turned Evil: Tucker eventually goes too far with his ghost powers, so Danny is forced to fight him.
- Shout-Out: This episode reveals what Danny does with the ghosts he captures in the Fenton thermos. He takes the thermos to his basement, to a large device built into the wall, loads the trap in a slot, and flushes the ghost... back into the Ghost Zone (something the Ghostbusters often worked on but were never able to perfect).
- What Have I Become?: Tucker's reaction when he sees his monstrous ghost self Danny removed from him.
Tucker: Is... is that me?
Danny: (sucking it into the thermos) No — it's not you, Tuck. Not anymore.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity