Recap: Arrow S 2 E 15 The Promise
Back to Recap Page
Tropes Applying to This Episode
- An Arm and a Leg: Slade hacks off the hand Ivo used to shoot Shado.
- Arc Words: Prochnost' /прочность ("strength") is mentioned again by Anatoli on the freighter.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: Slade takes control of the Amazo by killing its Captain.
- Badass Preacher: There's one imprisoned on the Amazo.
- Batman Gambit: Sara is counting on Ivo to use his truth serum on Oliver, so she creates a picrotoxin to counteract its effects so Oliver can feed him false information.
- Cliffhanger: On the island, Oliver is a prisoner of the now-insane Slade, while in the present, we don't know who knocked out Diggle or where he is.
- Crushing Handshake: When Slade and Roy meet, they attempt this on each other. From the looks of it, Slade was winning before he got distracted by Sara.
- Dream Sequence/Nightmare Sequence: Island!Ollie dreams of Shado blaming him for her death and madly stabbing him in revenge.
- Drink Order: Reuther rum for Slade
- Don't Ask: Sara's answer when asked if she's ready to parachute onto the freighter.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Turns out Ivo wants the Mirakuru to cure his wife of Alzheimer's disease.
- Eye Scream: Anatoli almost gets his eye taken out for Ivo's "research".
- The last shot of the episode is a lingering shot of Present!Slade's face...sans eyepatch, meaning we get a great shot of his empty eye socket.
- Face-Heel Turn: At the end, Slade takes over the ship and becomes the Island's new Big Bad.
- Hollywood Skydiving: Sara and Slade parachuting onto the Amazo is pretty improbable.
- Internal Reveal: Slade finds out what really happened to Shado. And it is not pretty.
- Slade learns that Sara is alive. It's been hinted that she vanishes/"dies" on the island before Ollie thinks he's killed Slade.
- I Surrender, Suckers: Island!Ollie allows himself to get captured by Ivo's men to provide a distraction for Slade and Sara.
- Jumping Off the Slippery Slope: What happens to Slade when he finds out about what really happened to Shado.
- Meaningful Background Event: When Slade and Sara are talking, you can see Roy visibly restraining himself.
- Mook Horror Show: Those poor bastards on the Amazo get to experience first hand what the Mirakuru has done for Slade. The last two of a group who witness him plowing through them with his machete even try to flee. Key word "try".
- Multitasked Conversation: Slade and Oliver snipe at each other and make veiled threats in front of Ollie's oblivious family.
- The Mutiny: Oliver and Sara release the Amazo's prisoners in order to start a riot on the ship, which ends with Slade killing the Captain and taking over.
- Mythology Gag: Curtis Swan and Joseph Cooper are mentioned as being 19th century artists. In real life, Curt Swan and Joe Cooper worked on comics for DC.
- Oh Crap: The expression of horror on Sara's face when she hears Slade's voice in the present.
- The look on two mooks faces when they see a mask-wearing Slade cut through the others like a lawnmower and then set his eyes on them, before turning tail in a vain effort to flee.
- Revenge Before Reason: One of the prisoners would rather kill Sara than take advantage of the fact that she just freed him.
- Right Behind Me: Ivo accuses Oliver of letting Shado die just as Slade shows up.
- Sinister Surveillance: It turns out Slade only wanted a tour of the Queen Mansion so that he could plant spy cameras throughout the whole building.
- Training Montage: The opening has one of Island!Oliver preparing for the freighter takeover.
- Truth Serums: Ivo likes using them to extract information.
- Whole Episode Flashback: This is for Season Two what "The Odyssey" was for Season One.
- Villain over for Dinner: Continued from last episode. Made worse when Thea comes over.