Recap: Angel S 04 E 19 The Magic Bullet
Fred goes on the run with every Jasmine follower in the city after her.
- A Day in the Limelight: This episode mainly features Fred as the sole heroine; in fact, if it weren't for her, the entire world might be a part of the Body Jasmine.
- A Handaxe To Grind: Fred carries a hatchet.
- Anywhere but Their Lips: Angel kisses Cordelia's forehead before bleeding her.
- Apologetic Attacker
Fred: I'm so sorry.
Jasmine: It's OK. I forgive you.
Fred: No, I'm talking to Angel. I hope he can forgive me.
(Fred takes out the revolver and fires it through Jasmine's body into Angel)
- Batter Up: Lorne knocking out Wes and Gunn.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: Literally with the deaf woman using sign language.
[SUBTITLE] I wish I could be in Fred's skull...so I could explode her brain
and kill her for rejecting Jasmine.
- Blatant Lies: Fred stumbles on the hideout of a small demon who claims to be a vegetarian. When Fred points out that he's got sharp teeth, he changes it to fish and vermin. The severed hands hidden in his blanket tell a different story.
Hey, these yours? 'Cause I've never seen 'em before. Why would anyone keep a stash (picks up a hand) of these tasty little—uh, disgusting meaty things
like this laying around? (shrugs) OK, so, not a vegetarian. (breaks a finger off the hand, takes a bite of it, offers the hand to Fred) Finger food?
- Blood Magic
- The Cameo: Blink and you'll miss Zakk Wylde — he's strumming a guitar while Angel and Conner sing "Mandy".
- Cliffhanger: Fred and Angel succeed in freeing the other members of the gang from Jasmine's influence, only for Connor to betray them.
- Conspiracy Theorist: Spoofed when Fred asks the owner of a conspiracy bookstore if he hasn't noticed anything strange about the way everyone is acting. The conspiracy nutter says that the CIA are still listening to the implants in his head, but it doesn't bother him any more as he's broadcasting Jasmine's love back to them via the mind control satellites.
- Crapsaccharine World: Everyone is happy and nice to each other in a Los Angeles controlled by Jasmine.
- Crazy Cat Lady: "I have 37 cats, and I've just changed all their names to Jasmine."
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: Fred threatens to chop out the conspiracy nutter's implants.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Jasmine's 'jihad', and all the love-bomb culty stuff.
- Enemy Mine: Averted when Fred finds herself hiding in a demon's lair.
Demon: Wow. Amazing. Two beings dissimilar as you and me discovering a shared link against a common foe. Huh. The irony. My feelings for you are changing. (shrugs) I feel warmth. (sighs) Wait. No, I don't. (holds up hands) That's just me wetting myself because you wouldn't let me pee!
- Eureka Moment: The small demon attacks Fred and tears her shoulder, causing her to remember Jasmine's wound in the previous episode.
- The Evils of Free Will: All of the Fang Gang talk of how they miss Jasmine's love once they're removed from her glamour.
- Exactly What I Aimed At: Fred breaks Jasmine's spell on Angel by deliberately shooting him with a bullet that first had to pass through Jasmine, since it is exposure to Jasmine's blood that breaks her glamour.
- Fake-Out Make-Out: Fred hears people approaching and grabs Angel for a passionate snog. Of course it doesn't work, given that everyone in the city is being mind-controlled by Jasmine and nothing is happening in Los Angeles — not even a young couple making out on a midnight stroll — without her approval.
Fred: (whispering) You think they bought it?
Angel: (whispering) I did. I—I mean, I didn't hear anything.
[Oh, Crap moment when they realise it's because the group has stopped to stare at them.]
- Get a Room!: The short demon's reaction to Fred removing her clothes to check out her injuries.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Gunn re Angel.
"Evil. Not evil. Evil again. Wish he'd make up his mind."
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Angel and Connor singing a duet in praise of Jasmine, to the tune of "Mandy".
- I'll Kill You!
Connor: (struggling in Angel's grip) I'll kill you!
Angel: It'll pass.
Lorne: Right, 'cause Lord knows he's never tried that before.
- Immune to Bullets
Dumb idea for such a smarty. You know bullets don't kill me. (Dramatic Gun Cock
) Want to see how they work on you?
Fred: (crying) Look at her.
- Improbable Aiming Skills: Fred shoots Angel through Jasmine on a quickdraw. Not quite Wes' killshot on Skip, but pretty damn good for a non action girl.
- Kill It with Fire: Jasmine orders the conspiracy theorist to burn down his own shop to destroy all traces of her blood.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Jasmine's followers are talking of the reasons why they love her — a cute child says, "Jasmine makes food taste good."
- Magic Bullets: The Slow Motion bullet fired out of Fred's gun is clearly a rifle bullet rather than the much shorter round that would be fired from a revolver.
- Man on Fire: A man crashes his car while pursuing Fred, then staggers out the vehicle in flames, still calling on her to accept Jasmine's love.
- Mood Whiplash / Musicalis Interruptus: The Teaser has The Beach Boys playing as complete strangers share the love of Jasmine. A commuter happily stops his car to allow pedestrians to cross — only for a wide-eyed Fred to slam into his window before fleeing, pursued by Wes and Gunn.
- Never Trust a Trailer: Last week's On the Next episode trailer centered around Angel and Fred kissing, with the announcer going on about how the crisis will drive them together... the kiss turns out to be a Fake-Out Make-Out and no romance comes of it.
- Omniglot: Jasmine can speak any language.
- Person as Verb: "Fred pulled a Houdini on us."
- Pietà Plagiarism: Angel carrying an unconscious Fred out of the Magic Bullet.
- Putting a Hand over His Mouth
- Quick Nip: Lorne fortifies himself before going out to grab Wes and Gunn.
- Rule of Three: The conspiracy bookstore owner takes out a revolver, a yo-yo, and a book on "Making Mind Control Work For You."
- Sarcastic Confession: Connor asks what happened to the three people who entered the room with Jasmine. She says matter-of-factly, "I ate them." Connor just replies, "Cool." Subverted when it turns out Connor already knows what Jasmine is, and doesn't care.
- Scare Chord: When the guests at a motel turn and look at Fred. A comatose Cordelia grabbing Angel's wrist in an instinctive response.
- Scarily Competent Tracker: You can thank Holtz for tying Connor to a tree in the middle of nowhere, then leaving him to escape his ropes and find his way home all on his own (this in the worst hell dimension in existence). "One time, it only took me five days."
- Shout-Out: Has an Invasion of the Body Snatchers feel.
- Also, at one point we have Gina Torres speaking Mandarin, a possible Shout-Out to Firefly.
- Sickly Green Glow: Jasmine feeding.
- So Much for Stealth: Angel has a Prat Fall trying to sneak through the window into Cordelia's room.
- Sublime Rhyme: Jasmine wanting to meet ASAP for some TLC, and "You're dead, Fred."
- Telepathy: If any of Jasmine's followers see Fred, Jasmine knows immediately because they are becoming part of her Hive Mind.
- Terrible Interviewees Montage: The people at the Hyperion talking of why they love Jasmine.
- Title Drop Not a straight example, Fred tells the shop attendant she wished everybody could be Shiny Happy People, which is the title of the previous episode.
- That Came Out Wrong / Bizarre Demon Biology: Lorne talks about Jasmine walking through the door and into his ass, then has to explain that as a demon his heart is located there. "I could show you an X-ray."
- Walk In Chime In: The owner of the Magic Shop asks for the autograph of the notorious Fred Burkle.
Fred: Anything for a fan. Who should I sign it to? (reaches inside the desk drawer)
Jasmine: (walks into the shop, followed by Angel and Connor) To me, of course.
- Weirdness Censor: No-one comments on the green-skinned, red-eyed, horned demon at the front desk of the Hyperion.
- Who Shot JFK?: Spoofed when Jasmine tells the conspiracy theorist that Oswald did it.
- You Know What They Say
Lorne: You know what they say about people who need people...