Radio: Ask Me Another
What do you get when take the entire trivia section and dump it into a blender with brain teasers, a warm British pub atmosphere, family game night, a weekly special guest, host/comedienne Ophira Eisenberg, and the dulcet tones of in-house musician Jonathan Coulton? NPR thought they’d find out.Ask Me Another is an hour-long radio quiz show co-produced once a week by NPR and WNYCnote where fans face off in various Jeopardy-style competitions, where the final prize (often involving a custom Rubik’s Cube and various items/favors that the special guest (Very Important Puzzler) provides isn’t really the end goal.Some of the many V.I.P.s who have appeared in the show includes:
- Lewis Black: Stand-up comedian and top-notch ranter
- Bruce Campbell & Lucy Lawless: Promoting Ash vs. Evil Dead
- Jeffrey Cranor & Joseph Fink: Creators of Welcome To Nightvale
- David Cross: Who wound up playing against his wife Amber Tamblyn
- Neil Gaiman: Award-winning author of Coraline, The Sandman, and other fantasy fiction
- Elizabeth Gilbert: Bestselling author of Eat, Pray, Love
- Ellie Kemper: Costar of The Office (US), star of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
- Bobby Lopez & Kristen Anderson-Lopez: Oscar-winning songwriters for Frozen
- Ingrid Michaelson: Well-known indie pop singer
- John Cameron Mitchell: Creator of Hedwig and the Angry Inch
- Danny Pudi: The actor who plays Abed Nadir on Community
- Adam Savage: The Fun Personified co-host of MythBusters
- Dan Savage (no relation): Creator of the Savage Love sex advice column and It Gets Better Project website
- Andy Serkis: Voice actor for Gollum of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, and Caesar of Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- R.L. Stine: Bestselling author of the Goosebumps children’s series
- Patrick Stewart: Check out his episode to hear him recite the lyrics to "You Shook Me All Night Long" and "Blank Space" (as himself), "Africa" (as Laurence Olivier) and "Wannabe" (as John Gielgud)
- They Might Be Giants: "They might be... [Ophira's] favorite band named after a conditional statement".
- Matthew Weiner: Creator of Mad Men
- Are You Sure You Want to Do That?: From time to time, Ophira, Jonathan, or the Puzzle Guru John Chineski will hint that a contestant or V.I.P might want to reconsider their answer.
- Bonus Round: At the end of every episode, the winners of each round face off against each other in the "Ask Me One More: Final Round" until only one is left.
- Cross Over: Peter Segel, from the fellow NPR show Wait Wait Dont Tell Me was the guest for the 05.03.14 episode.
- Early Installment Weirdness: For the first few months Ophira Eisenberg would drop hints about the identity of the guest throughout the show instead of announcing it at the opening.
- Funny Answering Machine: An occasional prize, typically when a famous voice actor/comedian is the Very Important Puzzler.
- Gratuitous Italian: Jonathan Coulton, having studied the language while he was still in school, sprinkles it in when the plot calls for it.
- Self-Deprecation: Ophira, the token Canadian, often takes (and even supplies) potshots about her former home country.
- Shout-Out: Accidentally played straight by some contestants who unnecessarily use “What is…” when answering a question; this often prompts the response: “This isn’t Jeopardy.”
- Small Reference Pools: Averted, naturally, given its audience are often people who listen to NPR on a regular basis.