Playing With: Infinity+1 Sword
Basic Trope: The best equipment in the game requires considerable effort on the part of the player to acquire.
Back to Infinity+1 Sword
- Straight: To get the Ultimate Sword, Ultimate Spear, Ultimate Rod, Ultimate Staff, and Ultimate Shield for your heroes, you need to get to the final dungeon.
- Exaggerated: The items for them are Randomly Drops from the Bonus Boss at the end of the Bonus Dungeon that you can only get to if you speak to a particular NPC in the third town the sidequest to get them won't start, and the other NPCs wont' talk... and they're too late, being outclassed by the Double-edged Bonecleaver.
- Downplayed: The equipment appears as a more common, yet just as powerful Infinity–1 Sword.
- Justified: They show Character Development.
- Inverted: Starter Equipment.
- Subverted: They're considerably weaker than the other weapons.
- Double Subverted: ...Until you grind their stats a bunch, at which point they're hands down the best weapons.
- Parodied: Their compendium info says "Their power can only be wielded by five true heroes... who have way too much time on their hands. Come on, guys."
- Zig Zagged: The items have the best boost to your Attack stat, but the Double-edged Bonecleaver or the Sword of the Ancients is better in some situations for whatever reason. However, once you obtain their unique Combination Attack, there's no contest.
- There is no sidequest for an ultimate weapon. The best weapon in the game can be purchased or obtained through story progression.
- "Best weapon" is a fan designation based on highest boosts - there's no Ultimate anything.
- Enforced: Ultimate weapons of this type are generally recognized as a common element in the games they show up in.
- Lampshaded: "We could have used the time you spend getting that sword on, you know, SAVING THE FRICKING WORLD!"
- Invoked: It's common knowledge among the game's characters that a diamond-edged sword would be pretty much the most powerful thing ever- it's often said that such a sword could cleave even atoms in half, but it's also commonly thought to be impossible to gather the materials needed to make one.
- Exploited: It may be found very early in the game, if you know where to look.
- Defied: Screw the sidequest, I'll just go level grind if I need to.
- Discussed: That better be the ultimate sword. Look what we did to get it.
- Conversed: Couldn't you have just beaten the game already?
- Their stats aren't high enough to justify the amount of time and effort needed to obtain them, meaning most players don't even bother. Was It Really Worth It??
- By the time you have the ability to obtain it, you've pretty much beaten the game and thus proven you don't need it.
- The weapon is just Too Awesome to Use.
- The initial parts of the sidequest are made intentionally tedious or obscure to discourage players who aren't really focused on 100% Completion from wasting their time. Instead, those players just finish the game and move on, and everyone's satisfied.
- The game has a New Game+, meaning that if you put the time and effort to get the Diamond-Edged Atomcleaver with it's boosts, you get to experience the joy of mopping the floor with That One Boss's ugly face with them.
- Played for Laughs:
- Played for Drama: The weapons were awakened by the soul of The Hero's dead little sister, who was killed by the Mooks.
Back to Infinity+1 Sword