: A character's family or friends harm her (or him) because of Honor Before Reason
- Straight: Aerith and Bob are together, but Aerith's parents don't approve of Bob. They lock her up in a tower guarded by a fierce dragon, just so she'll never see him again.
- Aerith is living in No Woman's Land, and considered the property of her father, rather than a real person with the right to decide whom she marries or sleeps with.
- Aerith is part of a Big Screwed-Up Family
- If Aerith's parents choose not to punish her, their society will kill them as well as her.
- Rather than harm Aerith, her parents kill or injure Bob.
- Aerith is rewarded (not punished) for being involved with Bob.
- Aerith is killed for being a Purity Sue.
- Subverted: Aerith's parents discourage her from seeing Bob again.
- Double Subverted: But when she defies them, they kill her.
- Parodied: Aerith holds a boy's hand and her parents are so ashamed they whack her with a feather stuffed pillow.
- Zig Zagged: Sometimes Aerith is punished severely for doing things or seeing people her parents don't like, other times she gets off with barely a slap on the wrist.
- Aerith's parents treat her well, even when she does/says/wears things or dates people they don't approve of.
- Aerith's parents don't give a damn what (or whom) she does or doesn't do.
- Lampshaded: "In losing her, we have lost a whore."
- Invoked: Aerith's parents purposefully set up the affair so they have an excuse to punish her.
- Exploited: Someone with a grudge against Aerith tells her parents that she has been unchaste outside of marriage.
- Aerith's parents realize that she is a person, and that she may do things they don't approve of. If religion is the issue, they pray to the Powers That Be for her forgiveness, and they accept her as she is.
- Bob comes to her rescue and he and Aerith fight back against the abuse.
- Discussed: ???
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: This is a form of Domestic Abuse; Aerith's rights are being violated in the name of family honor.
- Played For Drama: Being abused is scary enough, the fact that Aerith's parents think that they are in the right, makes at even more horrifying.
Back to Honor-Related Abuse