open/close all folders
- Betelgeuse Snake, especially that frighteningly creepy leer on his face when he corners Lydia. It even got referenced in the Shin Megami Tensei series of games, as a boss enemy in Shin Megami Tensei 2.
- If you thought Betelgeuse is snake form was scary, here's what it originally was supposed to look like.
- The scene where Barbara tries to scare Delia by hanging herself in a closet and then ripping off her own face.
- Fortunately for Delia and Otho, they can't see her. They're more terrified at how small the closet is.
- Barbara and Adam's transformations, where Barbara stretches her face with her eyeballs in her mouth and Adam makes his face beak-shaped with eyeballs on his fingers. Look◊, if you◊ dare◊.
- Given the theme of ghosts resembling their corpses at the moment of death... just stop and think of some of the horrible ways that people have died.
- Shrunken Head guy◊, a lady who got divided in two, apparently in a botched magic trick, a guy run over by a car and reduced to a realistic pancake, and a guy who set himself on fire from smoking and was all charred up and shrunken...and so on.
- The Sandworm, an Eldritch Abomination with a head within a mouth of another head.
- Betelgeuse himself... and not just when he's in his giant-snake form. In the movie he's Chaotic Evil, can change form at will into anything, and he's not above killing people.
- Two words: Shrimp Hands.
- The séance, which is supposed to be a way to contact the spirits of Adam and Barbara, is actually an exorcism. Seeing their ghosts being slowly destroyed, shriveling and aging... AAAAAHHHH!
- The scene where Beetlejuice eats the fly.
The Animated Series
- Just the beginning of the second intro! The original one wasn't that bad, but the second opening starts out with Beetlejuice's rotting corpse sitting inside a coffin as he's summoned by Lydia chanting his name three times. The look in his eyes as he awakens is disturbing.
- In the Bad Future of "Pest o' the West," Lydia is forced to marry an anthropomorphic bull ghost named Bully the Crud. This is a case of Nightmare Fuel both In-Universe and for the viewer. Imagine being a living human female, forced into marriage with a dead animal... who then somehow manages to sire multiple children on you. The implications are horrible if you think about them too much.