Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Beetlejuice
fanfics, (both film
and animated series
) all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page
though; that goes in the discussion page.
Page Reconfiguration in Progress
: Fanfic Recommendations
is being split into pages for each individual series, so help is needed to classify each entry into the appropiate category, and to format it according to the template.
Authors, and Websites
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Bridge Over the River Winter
Life Won't Wait
- Recommended by Lurkerbunny
- Pairing(s): Slight Beetlejuice/Lydia, so be warned
- Synopsis: This fanfic bridges (pun intended) the gap between the movie and the cartoon, putting them in the same continuity.
- Comments: And dammit, it works.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
The Man Who Sold The World
- Recommended by Twoie92
- Pairings: FRIENDSHIP!Beetlejuice/Lydia, with a very well done Lydia/OC
- Synopsis: As Lydia grows up and grows older, Beetlejuice must struggle along with her through many changes that affect the nature of their friendship through the years. Will they stay best friends forever? Or will she outgrow the 'ghost with the most' and leave him behind? Based solely on the cartoon.
- Comments: So well done that it's like an official continuation of the cartoon. Beetlejuice is very in character, and his friendship with Lydia is very fulfilling. Needs More Love.
and its sequel Dialectics
Alive Without Breath
- Recommended by Anonymous Apathy
- Pairing(s): Beetlejuice/Lydia, morphs into something like Lydia/OC (its complicated)
- The Man Who Sold The World: Lydia is all alone on Halloween night, and Betelgeuse is finally back in the land of the unliving after three years' punishment for his misdeeds.
- Dialectics: In which pasts are remembered, secrets are revealed, and everything generally goes to hell. Death doesn't fix anything, it just changes the scenery.
- Comments: A continuation of the movie. Both Betelgeuse (one of the few fics - even in the movieverse - to spell his name correctly) and Lydia are completely in character, and develop in a a realistic way. Even when things start to turn in an Out of Character direction, it is Justified because it fits within the fic's continuity. The fic is an exploration of both Betelgeuse's and Lydia's characters, as well as Betelgeuse's past. While the ending was... mostly satisfying, it's still rather Bittersweet.
- Recommended by Gryphon Fledgling
- Pairing(s): Betelgeuse/Lydia, Tarrant/Alice, Hamish (Death)/The White Queen (Life) (trust me, it works somehow)
- Synopsis: With Death's guidance, the Mad Hatter, Tarrant Hightopp, will wait forever for The Alice to return to Underland; though Time stand still and teapots turn to dust! They might get some extra help though, from the world's foremost bio-exorcist - Betelgeuse!
- Comments: Set after both movies (quite a long, long time after Alice). A glorious crossover dealing with a reincarnated Alice Kingsleigh befriending Lydia Deetz. Both have seen Death. Both have hazy memories and dreams dealing with their own personal obsessed poltergeist. Follows said poltergeists (one Betelgeuse and one Antares... long story) as they are dropped into the waters together to deal with their respective objects of obsession. Really beautifully done, with the tie-ins between movies and the girls' pasts explored.