The Cog Is Dead is a Steam Punk
band from Florida whose musical styles range between folk, rock'n'roll, ragtime, reggae and beyond. Like Abney Park
, their fictional backstory is that of a roaming airship crew
, with the twist that they also travel through time
. To date they have released two studio albums: Steam Powered Stories
(2010) and Full Steam Ahead
(2013). Their lineup:
- Captain John Sprocket (John Mondelli) - lead vocals, guitar, keyboard, ukulele, banjo, accordion and kazoo
- Sir Christofer Wolfe (Chris Fowle) - Bass, Backing Vocals
- Joel (Joel Dennerle) - Lead Guitar, Backing Vocals
- Mr. Tony Seville (Tony Mondelli) - Drums
The Cog Is Dead and their music provide examples of:
- Cattle Punk: The Copper War, The Iron Horseman
- Clockwork Creature: The Inventor's Daughter, Mechanical Menagerie
- Downer Ending: A Letter To Michelle at the end of Steam Powered Stories.
- Fake Radio Show Album: Steam Powered Stories is styled like an old-time radio show, complete with fake commercials and news breaks.
- Genre Roulette
- Green-Eyed Monster: Danger On The Dancefloor
- Healthcare Motivation: Time Machine
- Large Ham: Mondelli's vocals. Shines through especially in tracks like The Death Of The Cog and Danger On The Dancefloor.
- Mood Whiplash: Two strangely mournful songs, Time Machine and Letter To Michelle, are sandwiched between tracks that are more upbeat (The Inventor's Daughter, I Want Only You) or at least darkly humorous (The Depths Below).
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly
- Our Time Machine Is Different: It's a freaking airship.
- Parental Marriage Veto: The Inventor's Daughter
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: The Death Of The Cog is a very threatening indictment of a certain Mr Hamilton.
- Robot Girl: The Inventor's Daughter
- Sea Monster: The Depths Below
- Sky Pirate: Savior Of The Skies
- Spoken Word in Music: The Inventor's Daughter segues into The Death Of The Cog with a spoken "report:"
"We interrupt this broadcast to bring you breaking news. At approximately 2:05 PM this afternoon, an English clockmaker by the name of Hamilton revealed to the world a new kind of clock. This sick, twisted design displays the time digitally on a small backlit screen and is run entirely on electricity. Hamilton predicts that this new abomination is the way of the future, and believes that someday these hideous creations of his will be in every home in the world. It is with deep regret that we announce to you, dear listeners, that the cog is dead. We repeat: The Cog Is Dead."
- Steam Punk: Of course.
- Title Track: The first track on Steam Powered Stories.
- Victorian Novel Disease: Time Machine