Roy Zimmerman is an American folk satirist who sings primarily political songs from a left-wing perspective. Before going solo, he was in a band called The Foremen.
- Comic Sutra (1998)
- Homeland (2004)
- Security (2004)
- Peacenick (2005)
- Faulty Intelligence (2006)
- Thanks for the Support (2008)
- Real American (2010)
- You’re Getting Sleepy (2011)
Tropes Used by Roy Zimmerman
- Album Title Drop: The lyric “you’re getting sleepy” appears in the song “Vote Republican”.
- "Thanks for the Support" shares its name with a song on the album, as does "Peacenick."
- Anti-Christmas Song: “Christmas Is Pain”
- Armoured Closet Gay: "Ted Haggard is Completely Heterosexual":
"He preached the gospel message of intolerance and self-loathing..."
- Audience Participation Song: "The Singalong Second Amendment"
- Bourgeois Bohemian: This stereotype appears in "To Be a Liberal":
"I hit a speedbump and spilled my chai latte all over the hemp-covered seats in my Prius..."
- Double Entendre: "I'll Pull Out" contains several of these including the title which is a reference to both "Pulling Out" of Iraq and the Withdrawal Method.
- In "Ted Haggard is Completely Heterosexual:"
"Now Ted would like you all to know the story has a moral...."
"And of all the televangelists, his favorite is Oral."
- Fun with Foreign Languages: "Ingles" consists of this.
"Ingles es la lengua madre - English is the mother tounge"
"No se quien es el padre - I don't know who the father is"
- Heteronormative Crusader: Parodied in "Defenders of Marriage", critiqued in "Summer of Loving".
- Hurricane of Euphemisms: “Firing the Surgeon General” is a song made up of several euphemisms for masturbation.
- Hypocritical Humor: in "To Be A Liberal":
"And in yoga today, I got bent out of shape, ‘cause the guy doing bow-pulling pulls in front of me was intolerant, which I hate!"
"I saved an endangered snail darter from being eaten by an endangered spotted owl that I saved from being eaten by an endangered mountain lion that I saved from being shot by a poacher... WHOM I HAD TO KIIIIIIIILLL!!!!..... With kindness....
- In the Style of...: "What If The Beatles Were Irish?"
- Light Bulb Joke: In the song "Socialist!" Relating to how many socialists and capitalists it takes to screw in a lightbulb. Doubles as an Overly Long Gag.
- New-Age Retro Hippie: Discussed in the song "Psychedelic Relic", a song about a drug addled aging hippie.
- Pedophile Priest: Referenced in the song "Love Your Neighbourhood Priest".
- Protest Song: Much of Roy Zimmerman's catalogue is this:
- Criticism of George W. Bush and the war in Iraq, notably "Chickenhawk", "Thanks for the Support", "Saddam Shame".
- "Hope, Struggle and Change" is a song written for Occupy Wall Street.
- "Homeland Security" is a song criticising the US response to 9/11.
- "Defenders of Marriage" and "Summer of Loving" are songs defending gay marriage. The former parodies Heteronormative Crusaders, the latter connects the court case "Loving vs. Virginia" to the current struggle for marriage equality.
- "X Is Completely Heterosexual" (there are versions where X is Ted Haggard, Mark Foley, Larry Craig and George Rekers) criticizes those who publicly attack gays, but are closeted themselves.
- "Creation Science 101" protests against the creationist movement, specifically the attempts to teach creationism in US public school science classes.
- Religion Rant Song: "Jerry Falwell's God" is a type 3 Take That at Jerry Falwell.
- Self-Deprecation: "This Machine" contains a number of shots at his own song.
"This music is the spirit of hope and change, yes it is. 'Cause whenever people hear it they hope it changes!"
- Song Parody: "Eine Kleine Barackmusik" to Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusic".
- Spoof Aesop: "This Machine", which has him realise that "do good in the world" and "love each other" makes two messages, so he runs them together into "do each other".
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: "Dick Cheney":
[spoken] "I'm not gay and I know it comes as a huge surprise to a lot of you who I've hit up on... But there is one guy who could convert me...."
"Dick Cheney, ain't he, the sexiest man alive?"
- Subject 101: "Creation Science 101"
- Subverted Rhyme Every Occasion: In many of his songs, but most notably in “Ted Haggard Is Completely Heterosexual”
Zimmerman: Now Ted's a little haggard, but he's thankful for the schism,
Zimmerman: [speaking] "You're right, but wait for it."
[sings] And you might find it hard to swallow...the syllogism...
- Take That: Mostly lobbed from left to right, be it in mocking creation scientists, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh or Mitt Romney.
- The Man Is Sticking It to the Man: Parodied in "Think Different"; the title references an Apple slogan.
"Think Different, cos some 24-year old silk suited substance abuser who'd shove his mother down an escalator for a shot at the Nabisco account told you to!"
- Too Much Information: The song "T.M.I." is about a guy who has some unfortunate conversations with random strangers about their problems.
- Unusual Euphemism: “Firing the Surgeon General”
- War Is Hell: "I Won't Be Home For Christmas", "Thanks for the Support" and "The Last Man".
- You Are Number 1036924053887
- You Know Who Said That: This appears in "That is The War On Terror":
"There's this great quote about war, and I'm tryin to remember who said it, the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders, you just tell them they're under attack, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, now who said that? Oh yeah, it was Hermann Goering