IU (Lee Ji-eun, 이지은) is a South Korean female solo singer and actress.Born May 16th, 1993, IU debuted in 2008 at the age of 15 under LOEN Entertainment. Her debut mini album Lost and Found was well received by critics but was not commercially successful. She broke into the mainstream K Pop market with the Lighter and Softer single "Boo", and gained massive popularity with the breakout hit "Good Day".In 2011, she acted in the Korean Drama Dream High as the character Kim Pilsuk.She is well-known for her good vocals, sweet image, a genuinely good personality and her very impressive and well-produced music (and music videos), some which she composes herself. She is also well known for her duets with other singers like Seulong of 2AM and her acoustic covers of kpop hits.Needs more Wiki Love.
- Lost and Found (Mini-album) (2008)
- IU...IM (Mini-album) (2008)
- Growing Up (2009)
- REAL (Mini-album) (2010)
- Last Fantasy (2011)
- Monday Afternoon (2013)
- Modern Times (2013)
- A Flower Bookmark (2014) (cover album)
- Chat-Shire (2015)
- Palette (2017)
This singer provides examples of:
- Alice Allusion: The music video for "Twenty-three" has the Cheshire Cat, the Caterpillar, the White Rabbit, and other Wonderland creatures appear at various points.
- Anti-Love Song: "Not Spring, Love, and Cherry Blossoms", a collaboration between IU and the Boy Band HIGH4, basically laments that they're tired of hearing about love during the spring.
- Fangirl: IU is an open fangirl of Taeyang from Big Bang.
- Fractured Fairy Tale: Cruel Fairy Tale.
- Girl Next Door: She so embodies this trope that her nickname is "Korea's Little Sister".
- Incredibly Long Note: Her good vocal technique allows her to pull off a number of long (and often) high notes in her songs. Her most famous ones are the three consecutive high notes in "Good Day" which were (incorrectly) coined as the "3-octave notes".note
- Korean Drama: Has been in a few, including the popular Dream High and Moon Lovers
- Lighter and Softer: "Boo", compared to her debut single, the darker and more mature Mia.
- Non-Human Sidekick: The parrot in "Good Day" and the goose in "You and I" accompany her in their respective videos.
- Stage Name: IU is her stage name as opposed to her real name Lee Ji Eun.
- Teen Idol: She debuted as an idol at age 15.
- Translated Cover Version: Some of her songs have been translated into Japanese, such as "Good Day" and "You and I".
- Her japanese song "Voice Mail" was translated into korean for her album 'Modern Times'