BigBang is a South Korean
Boy Band founded in 2006 as YG Entertainment's first attempt at a pop band. The results were, to put it mildly, successful
. Its members are:
- G-Dragon (a.k.a. GD)
- Taeyang (a.k.a. SOL)
- Daesung (a.k.a. D-Lite)
- Seungri (a.k.a. V.I.)
Initially, Big Bang started out as a standard boy band South Korea had a few of. Their songs and music videos were heavily influenced by Western hip-hop and R&B. A few years after their debut, the group steadily became a commercial success locally and internationally. In these years both their music and imagery evolved drastically, becoming what is now
Many people in the Korean music industry and fan base agree that Big Bang's rise to fame was due to the creative control granted to the members some time after their debut. Heavily contributing to this is leader G-Dragon, who began song writing for their material thus changing their style to different genres as the years went by.
It was around 2008 that they began topping the Korean charts consecutively, making it their "breakthrough" year. While it may not seem so, considering the band doesn't do as many interviews as other South Korean bands do, they're currently the second
most successful South-Korean boy band, only behind DBSK
, the latter having split-up.
Big Bang is now considered a household name in Korea and currently one of the most popular Asian boy bands worldwide. Arguably, they stand out from other groups in that the members have freedom to contribute creative input into their work; from song writing to choreography, and wardrobe to album concepts.
BIGBANG fans are officially called V.I.P.'s. Equally popular and successful is their Distaff Counterpart 2NE1
. There's even a Chinese band named Ok-Bang
They were also nominated as best Worldwide Act, representing Asian Pacific, for 2011 MTV Europe music awards - and won!
BIGBANG provides examples of:
- Ac CENT Upon THE Wrong Sy LLA Ble
- Adorkable: All 5 members show this in various moments, but T.O.P certainly takes the cake. He's not called Bingu T.O.P or known for his 8D personality for nothing.
- Amazing Technicolor Dance-stage: Someof their music videos take this to the extreme.
- Attention Whore: Seungri at certain times.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Have you seen G-Dragon in drag get-up?
- Auto-Tune: A lot of their later singles.
- Badass Baritone / Basso Profundo: T.O.P
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: T.O.P has got quite the pair◊
- Boastful Rap
- Boy Band
- Break the Cutie: Daesung, considered the member with an "innocent" image (doesn't drink alcohol, goes to church frequently and has a generally friendly disposition) was involved in a traffic accident where he fatally hit a motorcyclist. The group suspended activity for the rest of the year to give him time to deal with it.
- This lead to some problems with overseas fans, due to the differences of justice systems around the world - some wanted to see Daesung receive a stiffer penalty than just paying a fine and taking a break while others were upset he was even implicated in the death at all since the motorcyclist had already been in a drunken crash of his own beforehand and was lying prone (and possibly already deceased) in the middle of the road at 2 in the morning, where he was difficult to spot.
- Break Up Song: In a way Haru Haru and Love Song could be examples.
- Butt Monkey: Varies mainly among T.O.P, Daesung and Seungri.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: Oh yes.
- Ironically, they were mocked by Korean journalists and netizens alike for being 'ugly', when they first debuted. Now they have to eat their words as T.O.P consistently is part of the 'Hottest Kpop male idols' list and Taeyang and Daesung are praised for their muscular bodies.
- Camp Straight
- Childhood Friends: G-Dragon and Taeyang fit the bill perfectly◊.
- G-Dragon and T.O.P can also said to be this, as they have mentioned that they were friends in childhood, and G-Dragon was the one who called T.O.P to audition for YG Entertainment.
- Cloudcuckoolander: T.O.P. They don't call him an alien for nothing...
- The Dandy: G-Dragon.
- Darker and Edgier: Although they have maintained their distinct party sound, their recent work definitely shows how they've matured over the years.
- Jiyong's second album, Coup D'etat, is much darker then anything else released by them, to the point that the most common reaction to Crooked was "Are you okay?"
- Even the Guys Want Him: Taeyang, when taking his shirt off. Proof.
- T.O.P. Good LORD, T.O.P◊.
- The Fashionista: G-Dragon, and to an extent, T.O.P and Seungri.
- Fun with Foreign Languages: At the ending of Baby Good Night, a woman speaks a few words in French.
- Genre Shift: During their early years they had a mostly hip-hop and R&B sound. Later on it slowly evolved into mixes of techno, pop and just amounts of hip-hop, rock and R&B.
- Gratuitous English
- Hates Being Touched: T.O.P, but he has displayed on occasion to be very friendly towards his teammates.
- Hilarious Outtakes: At the end of the Lies music video.
- Ill Girl: Invoked in the music video of Haru Haru (Day by Day).
- Impossibly Cool Clothes: Well, they're sponsored by numerous brands including Givenchy and Saint Laurent, so it's inevitable. Adam Lambert even jokes at one point that he would like to steal their clothes.
- G-Dragon's known as a fashionista who sets trends in Kpop, but at the same time he's also met with criticism for his excessive taste in fashion. Case in point: he wore skirts during live performances of Tonight.
- Incredibly Long Note: Daesung's job and rightfully so as he can pull off a powerful one, most recently in Fantastic Baby.
- In Da Club: G-Dragon and T.O.P in High High. (I'm Mr.G in the club, in my B-Boy stance.)
- Kaleidoscope Hair: A common trope in the K-Pop industry, seen frequently on Daesung, T.O.P, and excessively, G-Dragon.
- Lighter and Softer: Butterfly, I Need A Girl, Bad Boy and Cafe, to name a few.
- Nice Guy: Daesung.
- Man Child: T.O.P and Seungri have moments.
- Manly Tears: Seungri broke down in tears of joy some years ago during a concert.
- Mr. Fanservice: Fairly everyone does a bit but Taeyang definitely holds this title.
- Pretty in Mink: In the video for "Forever With You", the girl wears a white fur jacket, and the two guys wear fur-trimmed jackets.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Most of them have worn different shades of pink in music videos or live performances - from pastel hues to flashy magentas.
- Shout-Out: G-Dragon's Crayon music video has a picture of The Joker showing up.
- Justified since the song revolves on the phrase "why so serious?"
- Singing Voice Dissonance: G-Dragon's speaking voice is usually low-pitched but he performs his songs with falsetto notes.
- Stage Names: Everyone in the group.
- G-Dragon's real name is Kwon Jiyong (he derived his stage name from his actual name - 'Ji' sounds like the pronunciation of 'G' in English, and 'yong' means dragon in Korean. He's also born in the year of the Dragon in the Chinese Zodiac.), T.O.P's real name is Choi Seunghyun, Taeyang's real name is Dong Youngbae, and Seungri's real name is Lee Seunghyun.
- While Daesung uses his real name as his stage name in Korea, he's known as D-Lite in Japan; the other members with Korean stage names also have Japanese stage names for their promotions in Japan (namely, SOL and V.I. for Taeyang and Seungri respectively).
- The Stoic: In music videos, T.O.P rarely does any facial movement except twitch his eyebrows. In live performances, he executes their dance moves with the least effort.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: TOP sports his hair in a mint-blue color during their Fantastic Baby single. V.I.P.s hilariously compared his hair to an ice-cream◊.
- Unlucky Childhood Friend: To an extent, Taeyang's single, Wedding Dress.
- When He Smiles: T.O.P is this. However, all 5 members are capable of rendering their fangirls (and even fanboys) to puddles when they smile. Notably, Taeyang is known for his 'eye-smile', while one of Daesung's nicknames among his fans is 'Smiling Angel'. (Fun fact: it's said that the CEO of YG Entertainment, Yang Hyun Suk, chose Daesung partly for his smile.)