SS501 (usually pronounced "double S five o' one") Korean boyband
debuted on June 8, 2005 with their first single, "Warning". The five members are:
- Kim Hyun Joong, the Cloud Cuckoo Lander leader. Nicknamed "Leader" to differ himself and the maknae whose names are similiar.
- Heo Young Saeng, quiet and cares a lot about his image.
- Kim Kyu Jong, the kind, obedient one.
- Park Jung Min, the most talkative member.
- Kim Hyung Joon, the baby in both age and personality. Nicknamed "Baby" to differ himself and the leader whose names are similiar.
They started in their late teens and have gained decent popularity. However they've been inactive as a whole group since 2010, with everyone pursuing solo activities and joining other companies, and performed as a whole group once in 2013. It's been stated that they have not and will not disband.
Hyun Joong's career and public image has been up at stake since August of 2014 it was revealed that he had allegedly been regularly assaulting
and abusing his ex-girlfriend over a period of two years, breaking one of her ribs and leaving her with severe bruising
. His fangirls who stood by his side for absolutely sensible reasons
aside, majority of people were convinced Hyun Joong was guilty due to the damning evidence
and the fact that Hyun Joong's legal team seemed to be taking the allegations very seriously. Unfortunately, not only did his ex drop the charges, but he was also cleared of most of them
by police - not that it's stopped an immense number of people from losing any respect for him.
Tropes associated with SS501:
- Bishōnen: All slim and pretty guys, common in Korean Pop Music.
- Boy Band: Obvious Korean Pop Music example.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Leader, oh so much. He had talked to a dog before, and he had also posted a fanfiction along with insane drawings that he had made himself.
- Nice Guy: Kyujong. He's very obedient and kind to the other members. For example, he sacrificed himself to be the violent waker Jungmin's roommate when they go on a beach trip to see the sunrise. He's also the one who turns off the lights for the lazy Leader when Jungmin, who had came in the room, only scolds the leader for being lazy.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Jungmin does this a lot.
- Team Dad: Leader can be this.
- Team Mom: Jungmin, according to the fans.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Seasoned roasted chicken for Youngsaeng and carrots for Jungmin. The latter even has a rubber carrot toy (he claims that it's a cucumber, though).