Awolnation (usually stylized as AWOLNATION) is an American alternative/electronic rock band from Los Angeles, formed by the former lead singer of Under the Influence of Giants, Aaron Bruno. They are signed to Red Bull Records. They are best known for their 2011 song "Sail", but their songs "Burn it Down", and "Kill Your Heroes" are also well-known. Their songs have been used in commercials, movies, and TV shows all alike. Most notably, their song "Sail" was used in promos for, appropriately enough, Vikings.
- Back from Earth EP (2011)
- Megalithic Symphony (2011)
- RE/SAIL (2012)
- I've Been Dreaming (2012)
- Run (2015)
This band provides examples of the following tropes:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!"Blame it on my A.D.D., baby."
- Careful with That Axe: "Soul Wars" and "Burn It Down". Actually pretty common in Awolnation's songs.
- The chorus of "Not Your Fault" qualifies as this, as well as the entirety of "Sail."
- Cluster F-Bomb: "MF".
- Cover Version: Subverted with the song "Burn It Down"
- Driven to Suicide: The song, "Sail", contains this line."Maybe I should kill myself."
- Electronic Rock: No explanation needed here.
- Epic Rocking: "Knights of Shame" is a Genre-Busting masterpiece that lasts exactly 11:49, but is 3:10 more longer on the album itself including two minutes of silence and a brief Hidden Track consisting of a reprise of "Jump on My Shoulders" and then some original lyrics sung to the tune of the "It's no fun waiting for the fall" section of the song.
- Fan Community Nickname: The Nation.
- Five-Man Band: The video to "Not Your Fault" follows the misadventures of such a team.
- Homage: Part of the music video for "Kill Your Heroes" is a bizarre one for Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, complete with little trains and hand-puppets.
- I Am the Band: Aaron does at least 99% of the song writing.
- Large Ham: Aaron Bruno, big time. Especially so in "Burn It Down".
- Lyrical Cold Open: "Some Sort of Creature". Of course, that's understandable, because the only thing the song consists of is a distorted audio clip of Aaron Bruno talking about a creature he saw, as if he was on a C-SPAN program making a speech.
- Also "My Nightmare's Dream".
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: They range from about a standard 3 ("Sail") to a borderline 6 ("Burn It Down").
- Mohs Scale of Lyrical Hardness: Anywhere from a 2 ("Jump On My Shoulders") to a 7 ("Sail")
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Primarily alternative, Awolnation's music have ran the gamut from industrial, to power pop, to rap rock, and much more. "Sail" alone could be described as a synth-industrial-dubstep-noise-electrorock number.
- Non-Appearing Title: "Megalithic Symphony", "Soul Wars" and "My Nightmare's Dream".
- Precision F-Strike: At the very end of "Jump on My Shoulders".
- Listening close to the second "Burn it down, baby, burn it burn it down" in the chorus of "Burn It Down" will reveal this.
- Also used at the start of "THISKIDSNOTALRIGHT", right after the opening riff.
- Scatting: "Sail" has a nice "la de la de da" bridge.
- Subverted Kids Show: The Framing Device for the "Kill Your Heroes" music video.
- Title Only Chorus: "Sail". Or rather, "SAIL!"
- "Burn It Down" and "All I Need".
- Lyrical Tic: "YEAH!" and "HEY!".
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Essentially all of "Kill Your Heroes".Well I met an old man dying on a train.No more destination, no more pain.Well he said one thing, before I graduate"Never let your fear decide your fate."