Manga: Seikesshou Albatross
One day, junior high-schooler Yuki helps a girl from another class, a weird girl known throughout the school as the "Trash Girl." Because of this self-less act, Yuki's life undergoes a dramatic change!
Also known as "Holy Crystal Albatross", a manga series created by Tamiki Wakaki.
Needs More Love
and Wiki Magic
See also The World God Only Knows
which is the series created by Wakaki that came after this that has some characters from this series appear in it.
Tropes present by the series:
- Abandoned Hospital: The Monobile Hospital where Goose, Ibis, and Toki lives in was once a human hospital. Ibis did not even know what an elevator was.
- Action Girl: Sibia the Palladium Knight of Triad.
- Alien Among Us: The Monobiles are sent to Earth when Albatross caused the Great Ignition.
- And the Adventure Continues: The last chapter has Yuki have the Flame and Earth Isotopes embedded in both of his hands, the Wind Isotope in the possession of Crane, and the Water and Light Isotopes are at unknown locations.
- Animal Theme Naming: Some of the Monobiles have names of birds.
- Albatross, Kagu, Nodynote , Yuhina, Crane, Pigeon, Shrike, Plover, Goose, Ibis, Tokinote , Cuckoo, Drakenote , Sibia, Finch, and Vanga.
- Arm Cannon: The Titanium Monobiles have them.
- Badass Bookworm: Crane the Antimony Monobile.
- Badass Normal: Yuki Shinohara
- Badass Fingersnap: How Shrike activates his powers.
- Bathing Beauty: Sibia likes to bathe.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: All Monobiles have a reactor/furnace which they use to burn their respective Periodic Elements in order to live, some have them integrated with their bodies while others are seen more like accessories they wear.
- Vanga the Chlorine Monobile is a gas-type and the only solid part of him is his reactor.
- Cool Sword: Albatross' sword which she later gives to Yuki, the Protection Sword Filament/Ferminode. It also acts as an Amplifier Artifact with the Flame Isotope. It is said its flames can split a mountain and water apart.
- Cut Short
- Dance Battler: Silver Monobiles like Pigeon used to be entertainers in Albatross' court. Pigeon utilizes her dancing skills with her control over her silver ribbons to restrict someone's movements.
- Didn't Think This Through: Yuki does this a lot. One example is when he jumped down into an elevator shaft to catch the Iron Monobile's head and launch it out of the hospital, unfortunately his plan only goes that far and did not plan how to stop falling and what to do afterwards. Good thing that Albatross flew up and catches him.
- Disappeared Dad: Yuki's father, Takao Shinohara, died two years before the start of the story.
- Elemental Powers: The Monobiles have them, depending on their Periodic Element.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: Most of the elements the Monobiles burn is in jewel form. Albatross's element is diamondsnote .
- Extra Eyes: Iron Monobiles have four eyes surrounding their reactor on their heads and four more on the back of their heads.
- Eyepatch of Power: The placement of Yuhina's reactor makes it look like an eyepatch.
- Fallen Princess: Albatross, a.k.a. Asakura.
- Funny Background Event: This
- Gentle Giant: Lebaio
- Half-Human Hybrid: Yuki Shinohara, his mother is human while his father is a human looking Monobile.
- Heroes Fight Barehanded: Yuki, being trained in martial arts by his mother, fights this way against Monobiles. It also helps that he got power from a sacred stone, the Flame Isotope.
- He later receives a sword from Albatross which he can channel the power through and fights with it; he becomes more of a Heroes Prefer Swords person.
- Homeless Hero: Asakura, she sleeps on the school grounds.
- Homing Projectile: Some Monobiles have this ability.
- Hot Mom: Yuki's mom Misato Shinohara and Ibis' mom Toki.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: The Magnesium Monobile siblings, Lebaio and Miu.
- Human Aliens: With the exception of a reactor, some Monobiles look indistinguishable from humans.
- Ibis mistakes Yuki for a Monobile at first until he clarified that he is human.
- Humanoid Aliens: Some Monobiles.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Each chapter is called "ELEMENT" then the number and then words.
- Ill Girl: Miu from injuries she received from the Great Ignition.
- Intelligent Gerbil: Some Monobiles.
- In the Back: There are a few instances.
- Kagu controlled one of his arrows he fire and impaled Yuki. He then proceeds to turn Yuki into a Human Pincushion.
- Albatross got sliced in the back trying to protect Ibis from the Chrome Monobile.
- Kick the Dog: Shrike kicks around Lebaio just because he is a common.
- The Dog Bites Back: Lebaio was the one who delivered the finishing blow to Shrike after Yuki cracked Shrike's reactor.
- Kill and Replace: Kagu the Titanium Monobile killed Fujimura-sensei before the start of the story and used his body as a disguise.
- Limited Wardrobe: Asakura/Albatross, her only clothing she owns is a dirty school and P.E. uniforms. As Albatross she can create her own clothing but she must take off her school uniform first, as in being nude, then form the clothes or else she destroys it.
- Losing Your Head: The Iron Monobiles can do this willfully and control their body as long as their head is not too far.
- MacGuffin: The sacred stones/holy crystal isotopes.
- Made of Iron: Yuki, even before getting the sacred stone.
- Some Monobiles as well. Some of them literally are.
- Martial Arts Uniform: Yuki and his mother Misato often wears these.
- Matter Replicator: Triad's Elemental Furnace which they use to produce jewels.
- The Medic: Bromine Monobile Goose and Iodine Monobiles Ibis and Toki.
- Meganekko: Asakura and Mappy.
- Motifs: The aliens called Monobiles are creatures that need to burn Elements from the periodic table to live.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: The Chrome Monobile, he even has a Blade Below the Shoulder for each of them.
- Neat Freak: Drake of Triad for his element stones; he justifies this by saying anything can decide the outcome of battle.
- Never Bring a Knife to a Fist Fight: When Yuki fought a group of four bullying Asakura, the one wearing a cap had a knife but Yuki caught it with one hand and proceeded to beat all four while still holding onto the knife.
- No Flow Portal: The place Albatross first arrived on Earth. It is underwater and closed on the Earth side but some of the essence of the Monobile homeland goes through which allows Albatross to use her reactor without wasting her jewels.
- One Note Cook: Yuki comments that his mom Misato is only good at making chive fried rice.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Sibia's hair style.
- Petting Zoo People: Some Monobiles.
- The Pig Pen: Asakura, she is called "Trash Girl" because she does not clean her uniform.
- Power Levels: The Jewel Index, the Periodic Table of Elements upside-down.
- Monobiles are separated into Common, Elite, and Rare depending on the Periodic table period and group they are in.
- Commons are in Periodic table periods 1-4
- Elites are in Periodic table period 5
- Rares are in Periodic table periods 6+
- Pulling Themselves Together: The Iron Monobiles can do this as long the head that holds their reactor is near and intact.
- Red-Headed Hero: Yuki Shinohara.
- Remote Body: The Iron Monobiles can detach their heads and control their body from not too far away.
- Ring of Fire: Shrike made one when fighting Yuki.
- Rubber-Forehead Aliens: Some Monobiles.
- Sand Worm: The Silicon Monobiles. A bit of Fridge Brilliance since sand is made of Silicon and Silicon is the second most common element in Earth's crust.
- Shrinking Violet: Asakura
- Simple Staff: Goose, Ibis, and Toki wield staves that they can channel their powers through.
- Sleepy Head: Asakura when she reserves her element stones.
- Spell My Name with an S: A lot of this for the Monobails/Monobairus/Monobiles?.
- Is it Yuki or Yuuki?
- Is it Crane or Kurein?
- Is it Miu or Myuu?
- Is it Lebaio, Lepaio, or Levio?
- Is it Pigeon or Vision?
- Is it Shrike, Syuraku, Shraik, Shurak, or Shriech?
- Is it Filament or Ferminode?
- Starfish Aliens: Some Monobiles.
- Sweet Tooth: Yuki loves ice cream.
- Taken for Granite: Actually Zinc but it's still similar. Nody the Zinc Monobile killed some police officers by covering them in Zinc.
- Taking the Bullet: Lebaio shielded Yuki from Shrike's explosion. He of course survives.
- Albatross shielded Ibis from the Chrome Monobile's slash.
- Terrible Trio: The leaders of Triad, a Monobile mercenary group.
- The Unintelligible: The Chrome Monibile.
- Ursine Aliens: Lebaio the Magnesium Monobile, looks a bit bear like.
- Winged Humanoid: Albatross of the butterfly wing type sometimes has them, but she must remove her uniform first before she makes them or the uniform is destroyed.
- The Worf Effect: Yuki with the power of the Flame Isotope in his left hand, having already defeated the Titanium, Silicon, and Zinc Monobiles with a clean hit, was unable to harm Crane the Antimony Monobile.
- Then again trying to fire punch someone whose element is Antimony, which is used as a fire retardant, is justifiable why it did not affect him. That and Crane, according to the Jewel Index, is the strongest Elite Class Monobile Yuki ever fought (not counting Ibis, an Iodine Monobile).
- Wreathed in Flames: The Flame Isotope that is embedded in Yuki gave him the power to cover his left arm in flames to power-up his punch. He later applies it to a sword he received from Albatross turning it into a Flaming Sword.
- You Have Out Lived Your Usefulness: Crane the Antimony Monobile ordered Yuhina to kill Nody the Zinc Monobile because he was heavily injured when Yuki defeated him.
- Sibia killed Cuckoo an Iron Monobile when the latter failed to bring back Toki.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Monobiles lives are limited by how much of their element the have to burn.
- In ELEMENT 28, Albatross only has enough diamonds for her reactor to last her at most about 3 months.