"In a land far, far away lies the kingdom of Fiore, a small, peaceful nation of 17 million, and a place filled with magic. Found in every home, bought and sold in every marketplace. For most magic is merely a tool, a mundane part of everyday life. For some, however, magic is an art, and they've devoted their lives to its practice. These are the wizards. Banded together into magical guilds, they ply their skills in search of fame and fortune. Many such guilds dot the landscape of Fiore. But there is a certain guild in a certain town that soars high above the rest, one from which countless legends have been born. A guild that will no doubt continue to create legends well into the future. Its name... is Fairy Tail."This is the tale of Lucy Heartfilia, a seventeen-year-old girl seeking to become a full-fledged wizard.note In a magic world ruled by guilds, becoming a full wizard requires you to join one. When Lucy meets a boy named Natsu Dragneel, who also happens to be the well-known wizard Salamander, he invites her to join one of the most notorious wizard guilds—Fairy Tail—which she accepts. Their adventures continue as they do missions for the guild, struggle with problems from the past, fight world-threatening villains, and learn The Power of Friendship.Launched in 2006 by Hiro Mashima, the man behind Rave Master, Fairy Tail consists of more than 60 manga volumes, proving itself among the more successful long-running shonen series. The manga was adapted into an anime in 2009, with two English dubs produced by Funimation and Animax. The show was put on hiatus in March 2013, totaling 175 episodes (not including OVA episodes), but later relaunched in April 2014 with a new animation studio (working alongside the already established A-1 Pictures) and director. The continuation itself would end upon reaching its 102nd episode (277 episodes, in relation with the previous show), but there are already plans for another one, with Mashima himself at the head as it was soon announced that the anime would continue for a final season in 2018. Eventually this was announced for a fall release in the same year.Licensed episodes are available to watch on Hulu and on Youtube. Natsu, Lucy, and friends appear in the Massive Multiplayer Crossover game, Sunday VS Magazine: Shuuketsu! Choujou Daikessen. The series also has a podcast here and a wiki here.Not to be confused with the Fairy Tale genre (the author has stated since the beginning that the spelling of the name is intentional), Lampshaded in Fairy Tail Zero.Seven spin-off series have been made:
- Fairy Tail Zero is an Origin Story featuring Mavis Vermillion as the main character, which proved to be so popular that an anime adaptation was made and began airing in January 2016.
- Fairy Tail Ice Trail chronicles Gray Fullbuster's life between Ur's death and him finding a new home in Fairy Tail.
- Fairy Tail Blue Mistral stars Wendy Marvell as she adventures in Dragon Valley.
- Fairy Girls focuses on the female members of the guild in general.
- Fairy Tail Twin Dragons Of Sabertooth features the titular guild, Sabertooth.
- Fairy Tail - Rhodonite focuses on Gajeel Redfox.
- Fairy Tail - Flash of Great Lightning centers on Laxus Dreyar and the Thunder God Tribe.
- Fairy Tail S is a compilation of side stories that usually popped up in the manga.