Manga: A Devil and Her Love Song
A Devil and Her Love Song
, known as Akuma to Love Song
in Japanese, is a shojo manga series created by Miyoshi Tomori.
The story revolves around an unusual and shockingly beautiful girl named Kawai Maria who was expelled from her previous school for "violence against a teacher", and soon transfers to Touzuka High School, a public school with low standards. Her sharp tongue and straightforward personality often leads everyone else to hate her with the exception of two boys, Shin Meguro & Yuusuke Kanda, who eventually get involved with her. With a devil's aura like hers and an arrogant facade to pair it up with, it's just too hard to be understood. And so Maria needs to deal with bullying, adjusting, fitting in and romance.
The series was published from 2006 to 2011 in Japan, compiled in a total of 13 volumes. In the US, it is being licensed and translated by Viz Media
This series provides examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Maria names "Augustine" the pair of shoes Meguro bought for her. When she starts dreaming with a teddy bear from her childhood, it's revealed she calls "Augustine" any object precious to her.
- After School Cleaning Duty - used for bullying.
- Almost Kiss: See Forceful Kiss below.
- Amazing Freaking Grace: A song sung often by Maria.
- Be Yourself
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: It's a shoujo manga, what would you expect?
- In fact, it's as if all the secondary female characters are out to screw Maria over in the cruelest way possible. At first.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Ayu is the blonde, Tomoyo the brunette and Maria the redhead.
- Broken Bird: Maria.
- Brutal Honesty: Ladies and gentlemen, here is the queen of this trope.
- But Now I Must Go: At the end of her arc, Anna leaves without further explanation, leaving only a cross behind. Maria receives a letter from her later, where she explains she's now living in America with her parents.
- Cat Smile: Kanda tends to do this sometimes.
- Caught the Heart on His Sleeve
- Child Of Rape: Maria
- Concert Climax: Twice.
- Creepy Cool Crosses: The necklace worn around Maria's neck.
- Anna has another one, and she leaves it as a memento when she leaves.
- Cross-Popping Veins: Meguro, when he gets annoyed.
- Curtains Match the Window: Maria.
- Cute Mute: Anna.
- Maria, as a result of remembering the reason of her mother's death.
- Declaration of Protection: Both Kanda and Meguro, especially Meguro. Not that Maria can't protect herself, she does so pretty well with her straightforward personality, but Meguro tells her he will always stand by her side no matter what. Also in recent translated chapters Meguro rejects Maria's confession in order to protect her from the 'truth' about her mother's death. According to Anna, Maria remembers nothing of it.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Maria.
- Does Not Like Spam: Meguro hates sweets, much to Maria's dismay.
- Driven to Suicide: Maria's mother killed herself in her child's arms. Anna attempted to cut her veins, but didn't succeed. Maria also attempts to do this at one point, feeling guilty for causing so much unhappiness.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness
- Elegant Classical Musician: Meguro plays the piano and is quite a prodigy, but he doesn't do any concerts because his father is a famous pianist and doesn't want people to think he's favored by this. Later he starts playing in the same choir as Maria and Anna, and even has concerts on his own.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Maria is sometimes dressed like this in cover art & such.
- Face of an Angel, Mind of a Demon: How a lot of people sees Maria. It's how she gets the nickname "Devil Maria".
- Forceful Kiss: A (failed) attempt by Kuros to Maria. Later, Meguro succeeds.
- And then Maria to Meguro.
- Girl Posse: Ayu Nakamura and her friends.
- I Don't Want to Ruin Our Friendship: Maria towards Meguro.
- Informed Atractiveness: Maria is appreciated as beautiful by everyone who surronds her; but afterthey kow her better they consider he an attactive demon.
- In-Series Nickname: Tomoyo is called Nippachi as a reference to her low grades (Nipacchi = 21) Later, Maria gets Akumaria (a pun on akuma, "demon", and her name) and Kurosu gets Erosu (a pun on his surname and Eros, the Greek god of love)
- Japanese Christian: Maria, as a result of going to a Catholic school before entering Totsuka.
- Jerk Ass: The story has its set of them, but none stands out more than the teacher. He is an inconsiderate jerk and deliberately overlooks the bullying to Maria. He then passes a Moral Event Horizon when he deliberately pours ink on Maria while she is wearing her performance dress, accuses her of ditching the performances when she does not show up, when she does show up he accuses everyone of his students that they could have done it because of their history with Maria, and then after the resulting chaos he quietly admits to Maria he did do it, claiming it was an accident, but would only admit if she apologized to him. What a great teacher, huh?
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Meguro, ultimately also Ayu Nakamura.
- Keet: Kanda, so very much. He's usually the chirpiest out of the bunch.
- Kids Are Cruel: More like highschool girls are cruel.
- Love Triangle: Kanda and Meguro fall in love with Maria, with Kurosu later joining as a third love interest. Maria admits later to be in love with Meguro.
- Luminescent Blush: There's one panel where it gets so bad Maria's nose inexplicably disappears.
- Meaningful Name: Lampshaded: Maria's surname, Kawai, can mean "cute" if another i is added, but everyone complains about how it doesn't fit her. Played straight with her first name (her character was inspired by Mary Margaret from The Bible) and with Kurosu (his surname means "cross", and he's a priest's son)
- Meido: The girls (and Kanda) dress as this for their class' cafe at the school festival.
- New Transfer Student: Maria in chapter 1. She was transferred to another school because she had hit a teacher in her old one. Her new classmates didn't welcome her so much in the beginning...
- No Sense of Personal Space: Kurosu is always trying to get as close to Maria as possible to hug her.
- Perky Goth: Tomoyo. Maria looks like she should be this but she likes fluffy, white, angelic things.
- Pick on Someone Your Own Size ...Sensei.
- Sailor Fuku: Totsuka's school uniform.
- Sarcastic Confession: Kanda's declaration of love. Twice.
- Shrinking Violet: Tomoyo.
- Split-Screen Reaction
- Stalker with a Crush: Maria considers herself to be one in the past. For Anna.
- Kurosu at first, although he's later acknoledged by Maria and joins her group of friends.
- Stepford Smiler: Kanda, but Maria sees through it.
- Stock Shoujo Bullying Tactics: Maria has her uniform ripped up and used as a flag, and balloons of ink put into her school shoes.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Maria.
- Super-Deformed: Kanda does this a lot when being overly friendly.
- Sweet Tooth: Maria likes obscenely sugary foods.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Meguro.
- Tareme Eyes: May apply to Hana and Anna. Looks can be deceiving though.
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia: Young Maria when her mother died.
- Tsundere: Meguro and, to a lesser extent, Maria. Most obviously, though, Ayu, once she starts getting along with Maria.
- Unusual Eyebrows: Hana Ibuki. Probably her most noticeable feature.
- Yandere: Anna, though her violent and manipulative tendencies might be for more reasons than just Meguro.