You Leave Him Alone!
This is a common Stock Phrase
utilized in a work of the action genre, mostly used by someone who up to this point in the plot has been ineffectual compared to his or her highly trained or super-powered friends.
They may even have been The Load
to their companions - such is their supposed uselessness in combat - but should they be the last man standing when all their warrior companions have fallen to the invincible might of the Big Bad
, busy giving their obligatory Hannibal Lecture
and gloating at their impending doom, the Power of Love
or Power of Friendship
will kick in and kick in hard.
Staggering from his or her own grievous physical (and often emotional wounds), the good hearted Every Man
takes a deep breath and shouts on the top of his or her breath "You leave him/her/them alone!" and gains the Heroic Resolve
to righteously kick the ass of evil that dared to lay its hands on their beloved friends
This is the turning point of a character that will can earn the respect of the other characters (not to mention the audience
) often combined with Crowning Moment of Heartwarming
. They may end up as the Chekhov's Gunman
or at least be using a Chekhov's Skill
. Tragically, this burst of heroic resolve will often not be able to compensate for their lack of practical combat experience and/or lack of power, so this trope will also often overlap with Heroic Sacrifice
See also Papa Wolf
, Mama Bear
and Beware the Nice Ones
Anime & Manga
Films — Animation
- A Certain Magical Index
- Epically invoked by Kamijou Touma as he challenges the seemingly invincible Accelerator in order to rescue Misaka Imouto.
- Just when you thought Kamijou Touma couldn't one-up that, he does in New Testament Volume 9 where he essentially does this to the entire world after he decides to save Othinus.
- Invoked by the first time by four year old Son Gohan of Dragonball Z as he demolishes his uncle Raditz, stopping him from beating his father Son Goku to death.
- Saten Ruiko in A Certain Scientific Railgun as she smashes the Capacity Down device paralyzing her friends, just in time to stop Therestina from killing them.
- Mamori does this in defense of Sena all the time in Eyeshield 21 up until Sena reveals himself to be the running back of the Devil Bats.
Films — Live-Action
- Russell in Up as he gains the Heroic Resolve to save Carl from evil biplane flying dogs.
- Soren in Legend Of The Guardians The Owls Of Ga Hoole tells Nyra "You leave her be!" when the evil owl taunts Gylfie.
- In Balto 2, Balto snarls at Niju "Leave them be!" when the latter tries attacking Aleu for defending Nava. This helps a lot since his (literal) Papa Wolf mode activates right away.
- When Wreck-It Ralph sees the other Sugar Rush racers bullying Vanellope, despite not liking her before, he yells "HEY! LEAVE HER ALONE!" and runs down the hill, yelling and roaring until they flee.
- In Teen Titans, Raven is given the job of bringing three young potential superheroes to a safety place and Hilarity Ensues while she tries to keep them away from the danger chasing them. During the episode's climax, Mallah gets the upperhand on Raven, prompting the kids to yell, "Hey, you big ape! Why don't you Pick on Someone Your Own Size?" and they use their innate powers to kick ass.
- In The Superhero Squad Show episode "Planet Hulk": the Hulk, exiled to another planet by the Dark Surfer, sees a group of Brood delivering a Rodney King-type beating to one of their kind; roaring "You leave little bug alone!" the Hulk delivers a SERIOUS ass-kicking.